Transferring docs & pics

Discussion in 'Software' started by inalambrico, Jan 30, 2011.

1. inalambrico

inalambrico Private E-2

I just purchased a new Gateway desktop PC with Windows 7. I am coming from a desktop that had windows xp so Windows 7 is a new experience for me.

I have the old hard drive plugged into a USB reader as I thought it would be a simple process to drag and drop all of my documents and pictures onto my new machine. WRONG!

I don't remember doing this but somehow there are security settings on everything on the old hard drive that doesn't allow me to look at anything. So for each and every document and each and every picture I have to go to properties and change the security settings so that I am the owner then I have to go back and change the share properties with myself. THis is very time consuming.

Isn't there a global command that will give me complete ownership and access to everything on the old hard drive?

BTW- THe old desktop is not usable, as it won't power up. I believe it took an electrical spike to the motherboard.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

You should be able to take ownership of the whole drive by adding your account name to the HDDs main root folder, just open the USB connected HDD and then right click in a blank space adn choose Properties > click the Security tab and click Edit > Add and add your admin accounts name.

or you could try this option HERE as it adds a Take Ownership option to the Right click context menu, so all you need to do is right click a folder and take Ownership.

3. inalambrico

inalambrico Private E-2

Hi and thanks for responding

I tried both of your suggestions and neither one seemed to help.

I even rebooted the machine after downloading and installing the take ownership option.

I still have to manually take ownership and share with myself each and every document and picture.

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds