Transferring everything to a new hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LeftFeeled, Nov 30, 2005.

1. LeftFeeled

LeftFeeled Private E-2

Hello,

I have an old Dell Dimension 4100 with XP Pro on which I want to replace the hard drive. I'm not sure how to do the data transfer so I can completely remove the current hard drive.

I installed the new one (using cable select jumper settings for both) and used the center connector. When I check "My Computer" the new drive isn't recognized but if I get into Disk Management it shows up as an unallocated partition.

Thanks

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Set the old one as Slave, and the new one as Master. Some older computers hate CS (Cable Select) when installing two drives.

Just make sure that they are both on the same cable, and the new drive will need a 80pin cable which it should of came with.

File and Settings Transfer wizard in WinXP works when you need to transfer to a new drive.

3. jakaach

jakaach Private E-2

I did this to my computer last Jan. I installed the new hard drive and did a fresh install of XP. I then got this "new" computer set up the way I want and make sure it is going to work like it should.
    I then took my old hard drive and installed it as slave and then transferred the files, docs, pics, music what ever was on the old drive I wanted to the new drive. Then when I knew I had everything from the old drive onto the new drive I formatted the old drive and used it for extra storage.
    What do you mean you used the center conector?

4. LeftFeeled

LeftFeeled Private E-2

Brownizs.... thanks for the info. The computer was set up with everything set up as Cable Select when I purchased it. Will I need to make any sort of BIOS changes to tell the computer I'm switching from CS to MA/SL?

Jackaach.... I'm far from being an expert on this but this is what I meant from 'center connector'. The wide flat grey cable that goes from the controller on the mobo has two other connectors... one at the end and one in the center. Some cables I've seen have the connectors labeled as Motherboard (one end), Master (the other end) and Slave (the one inbetween).

5. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Just go in the Bios and make sure both drives are seen by the Bios. You may have to set Bios for 'Auto' on that particular IDE slot. Also, Master goes on end, Slave in the Middle.

6. jakaach

jakaach Private E-2

I think if you only have one drive on the cable it should be on the end(master) and of course the drive set as master.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds