Transferring IE settings to a new PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by johngie, Dec 18, 2006.

1. johngie

johngie Private E-2

My wife's old laptop (Win98) has IE6 installed and she's getting a new Lenovo laptop (XP Home) for Christmas. Since she has a lot of useful cookies on the old PC, what's the best way of transferring them to the new one so she does not have to re-enter passwords etc. all over again?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

File and settings transfer wizard.Under accessories /system tools.

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

First, you'll want to export the cookies and favourites from the destination computer. Here's how:

1. Open Internet Explorer
    2. Press alt+f (or click the 'File' menu)
    3. Press alt+i (or click 'Import And Export')
    4. Follow the wizard to export favourites and cookies to file

Then, you can transfer the file you created above to the new computer, and follow the same steps to import it into the destination install of Internet Explorer.

edit: Sorry Tim! Ya beat me!

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

No prob, Mada ...knowing two ways is always good ....as long as they have a cd burner ..although the files may be brief enough for a floppy.:) :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds