Transferring "user" files to new computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by jldodge, May 12, 2012.

1. jldodge

jldodge Private First Class

My Windows Vista Computer has died. I have a backup of the operating system just prior to its death. The dead computer is home built circa 2005. I am getting a new computer with Windows 7 and newer/different hardware. I realize that I should re-install my various software programs onto the Windows 7 OS. My old system was setup with the My Documents folder on an external, networked drive. I intend to use that same configuration with my new computer. However, there are a number of "user" files on my C Drive that contain important data (e.g. library of CDs, books and movies).

My thought is to "restore" the old OS onto a separate drive. Then access that drive to transfer the files onto my new computer. Can I simply copy/merge these files? Is the directory structure for "user" files different in Windows 7? Can you tell me where else to look for data files that I should copy over (I am not a novice but know that "data" files can be stored in a number of different directories).

Would appreciate any help/comments/advice. Thanks in advance ...

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Just make sure you keep your backup available, as you will need it from time to time to recover stuff you haven't thought about. If it's an image type backup you probably don't need to restore it as it can be mounted when needed in Windows Explorer (provided the software that created it has already been installed). You will normally be able to copy and paste from the mounted backup into your Win 7 folders.

3. jldodge

jldodge Private First Class

Thanks ... indeed I will hang on to the backup. I am using Paragon for my backup and have to say I like it much better than Acronis. I believe you are correct on the downloading of an imaged backup.

I am not familiar with where SW programs typically put their "data" files. I know about the User file directory. Are there any other typical directories that SW programs access that I should transfer? At least this will help me minimize the additional work effort later on ...

Thanks again for any help on this ...

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

It isn't practical to consider copying application data files from one system to another. Just take care configuring your software installations and you will ensure the integrity of your new system. But obviously any data you have created and stored on C can be safely copied across.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds