Translation program Spanish - English

Discussion in 'Software' started by mutz_nutz_uk, Mar 4, 2003.

1. mutz_nutz_uk

mutz_nutz_uk Private First Class

Hi Geeks.

I am after a progie for my dad. He is emigrating to Spain shortly, and is taking his present PC with him. (Hehe Free Holidays in the sun :D)

What I am after is a program (FREE!! i aint paying ;)) that will alow a website written in Spanish to be translated "on-the-fly" into English, and vice versa. It would be most handy if it would integrate into IE 6.0, but stand alone is acceptable.

Is this possible? Or is there a program that can be used if the page is downloaded?

Links appreciated, or at least proggie names.

System specs :

AMD Xp2100+
    Jetway JV333DA
    256Mb PC2700 DDR
    Windows XP Pro SP1a
    IE 6.0 SP1
    56k Internet with AOL (It's my dad, he's old)

Look forward to reading the posts later Geeks.

2. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

only thing I can think of is babelfish
    babelfish.altavista.com

3. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

4. mutz_nutz_uk

Sort of missed the request.

I am actually after a program that can be downloaded/bought and installed to translate automatically/upon request an entire web page, as is, from one language to another.

The links posted are good for copy/paste blocks of text, but when he is browsing websites in Spanish, it is a pain to keep moving text across each time he wants to find what button to click etc.

I have been told of one program that costs money ( :eek: ) called SysTran V4.0 that you can attach to your browser and it translates the entire page, word by word, into English. Hoping to find a free version and get some advice on which one rocks.

Keep hunting Geeks. :D

5. mutz_nutz_uk

bump. No help yet!!

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I couldn't find anything but the systran.. sorry man.

7. mutz_nutz_uk

Cheers for trying Kodo. I am coming up blank too.

Oh well, better tell the old man to open his wallet. :D

8. hank

hank Private E-2

Translation?

Not to belabor the obvious, but if your dad is emigrating to Spain, he should learn the language. It will make life a lot easier for him.

9. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

I lived in Argentina for a while and i tried beforehadn and never found anything other than something like babelfish.....

Have to agree....time to take some night classes!!!
    and once you are there...

it is amazing how much you learn when you have to eat, pee, or sleep!!!

A spanish class is good... but when you are lost, hungry or need to go, you learn quickly!!!

Seriously, immersion is amazing.... after a few weeks of hearing nothing but spanish, it will start to make sense!!

Bueno, Yo necisito a ir al BANO!!! AHORA~~~

CAIO!

10. mutz_nutz_uk

Re: Translation?

Very true, and he is indeed doing the "Home learning" course. However, the main problem is presently he is looking for places/sites/clubs etc in and around the place he is moving to. He also needs to be able to translate contracts and legal documents being emailed to him regarding phone lines/water/electricity/internet access etc that is presently being set up in the new place. He will probably know Spanish well enough to live there within the next 2 months (He is moving end April) but he needs the abilities NOW. He cant compare prices/options between companies or anything like that at the moment, cannot find sports clubs, shops, etc so is having to rely on a friend in Spain to do the work for him. My dad is an independant ass though, and wants to know exactly what is going on, and what he is getting. Hence the request.

Oh well, I have advised him to purchase SysTran and he should be taking the plunge this weekend with it.

Onwards and downwards we go. :D

11. mutz_nutz_uk

Oh, and a good one for you.

Last time he was out there, an English friend they were with got the shits. Apparently, the closest Spanish comparison is for a Spanish man, wetting himself laughing, to make rapid motions with his hand around his a$$ region saying "You got Whoooooosh yes??"

12. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

HAHAHAHAHA

13. hank

hank Private E-2

Don't trust any translation program.

Particularly for legal documents. My wife is a certified English/Spanish translator and a teacher for Berlitz and she briefly tried a few translation programs and quickly trashcanned them. It will probably be worth it to hire a professional to translate the important documents.

Just curious, I have a son in Cadiz. What part of Spain is your dad going to?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds