Trident graphics update help.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dragonball82, May 25, 2005.

1. Dragonball82

Dragonball82 Private E-2

Hi,
    Please can you help as I am getting confused.

I have a 'Trident Video Accelerator Blade 3D/Promedia' graphics card and am looking for an update.

Everest the prog - dl from this site tells me to dl it from here. http://www.xgitech.com/sd/sd_download.asp

Which one do I want?

I have Win XP. I have tried their help & support, but it is not very helpful ! I have also tried internet search but get more confused.
    Basically when I watch my media player - windows 10, real player etc - the pc will crash (just switch off), restart and give me an error report. It will only do this sometimes and is random when it does it.
    I think I need a driver update. Can you help?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Doing a search the last driver version I can find is this one... looks as if the card is an old one....this driver is still on Tridents Server.

http://www.tridentmicro.com/drivers/download/blade_xp/win-xp.exe

XGI who Everest link you too bought TridentMicro a number of years back.

also whats in the error report that WMP gives you?

3. Dragonball82

Dragonball82 Private E-2

Thans for the reply.... do I just let the download run its own course?

It is not WMP that gives me the error it is WinXP here is one of them:

Error signature
    BCCode : fe BCP1 : 00000005 BCP2 : 831200E0 BCP3 : 11063038
    BCP4 : 83319DD8 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

Error Report
    C:\DOCUME~1\DANDAR~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER6508.dir00\Mini051105-01.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\DANDAR~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER6508.dir00\sysdata.xml

I have had more of these, however they are all the same except the numbers after ...\Mini.dmp change
    I bought the PC 3yrs ago from time - who are no longer.
    Is it best to get a newer card?

4. DavidGP

yes download and double click to install driver.

as to the crash... a few things,

1. In Event Viewer > Software are their any errors listed around the times of the crash?
    2. As you now have Everest if you goto Computer > Sensor ... what are your temps ( as this is random high temperatures can cause your PC to shutdown, have you ever cleaned the inside of dust? )
    3. When did the crashes start.... did you install any updates or new software around the time?

5. Dragonball82

Dragonball82 Private E-2

Will download & install then.
    In reply to your questions:
    1. I do not know as have never looked ..... never knew what I was looking for. However if it happens again I will take note.
    2. My temps are right now .... mobo=34'C(93'F), CPU 44'C(111'F),Aux 23'C(73'F),Seagate 48'C(118'F). I have recently cleaned out the dust - there was clumps of it ! Thinking it might cure it, but alas no.
    3. I would have no idea there are more than one user on the PC - all admin status.

I will be away from my PC for a few days, however will report back on the outcome of the install.
    Thanks

6. Dragonball82

Dragonball82 Private E-2

Hi am back, errr I think I installed the driver but am not sure. The link you gave me was a .zip file which I opened and ran the .exe's of them.

However it happened this morning (hence I think I installed it) - how do i view event viewer to see any errors?

Thanks - dragonball82

7. Dragonball82

Dragonball82 Private E-2

Ignore that last message. Have just looked in event viewer and found a system error. Category (102) Event 1003
    And one under security. A 'Failure Audit'. Category 'Policy Change'. Event '615'. User 'Network Service'.

Any ideas?

8. Dragonball82

Dragonball82 Private E-2

Just happened again with exact same error message and event viewer log ..... except the Security one as I wasn't logged on the net.

9. DavidGP

Temps seem ok,

does this happen also if you are playing a game or just the media players? also is it online content your listening to or media already on your PC like mp3s etc?

these types of errors are pretty hard to track down but I do have a feeling its driver related, try this.. its the XP driver Verifier,

1) Windows Key + R
    2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
    3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
    4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
    5) Reboot

also do you or have you installed your motherboards chipset drivers?
    does this happen in Safe Mode?

10. Dragonball82

Dragonball82 Private E-2

Hi thx for your reply.
    I have since got a new HDD and installed XP Pro ...... the problem appears to have gone. The old HDD had bad sectors - not sure if this was the cause. However I am set to also get a new graphics card.

Can you recommend a reasonably priced card pls?
    Reasonable is £10 - £30 ~ $18 - $54

Thx

11. DavidGP

Quite possibly was the cause, do you know if you have an AGP graphics slot on your motherboard?

Everest will be able to tell you if toy have AGP or just PCI... goto Motherboard > Motherboard and under Expansion Slots it will tell you what you have.

12. Dragonball82

Dragonball82 Private E-2

Thx for the reply....
    I think it is the Graphics card. I was running a pgm to convert an .avi to DVD, and the PC crashed, had to reinstall XP.
    Now it runs fine except the writing is tiny, the words on everyting are small....yes I have changed the font size to extra large - no difference.

Everest = 3 PCI +1 CNR

13. DavidGP

14. Dragonball82

Dragonball82 Private E-2

Excellent cheers - have used dabs before.

Have attached a Print Screen shot for you - it is of this web page. The writing size is also on the desktop.
    Hmmm its too big for your web page - what is the best why to down size it?

15. Dragonball82

Dragonball82 Private E-2

The magic of paint !!

Attached Files:

16. DavidGP

dunno why but that screenshot looks the same sized text as what i'm using, what size monitor?

If in IE then try View > Text Size > and choose a size ( medium is default )

Also in Display Properties > Settings whats your screen resolution set to?

yeah had a feeling you were in the UK and yeah DABs are pretty good used them many a time with good service.

17. Dragonball82

Dragonball82 Private E-2

In IE TXt size is largest in disp prop settings are 1028 x ahhh excellent sorted displat settings were too high.
    Well I believe here endeth a mamouth saga for me !
    Thank you so much for your help.

I will save up for the PCI card. Thx again.

18. DavidGP

Great.... no probs, glad you have it all sorted :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds