Tried Easus Todo and it failed to restore a backup properly, did I do something wrong

Discussion in 'Software' started by lostdata, Jun 1, 2011.

1. lostdata

lostdata Private E-2

I’ve tested the free version of Easus Todo as the Nero software I was using doesn’t seem to be 100% Windows 7 x64 compatible, but Easus failed to restore a partition properly. I tried to restore a backup of a partition, but when I rebooted it produced an error, it said it couldn’t find a device or something like that. Examining further it seems that the partitions offset had changed, I thought Easus would simply delete all the existing files/directories in the partition, restore the backed up files and leave the partition structure alone. Can anybody tell me where I’m going wrong or suggest backup software they know to be reliable, I’ve checked out Acronis reviews on Amazon and that software doesn’t seem to good either. Thanks

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Re: Tried Easus Todo and it failed to restore a backup properly, did I do something w

Exactly how did you try to restore this partition, from within Windows? If not how?

There are many Eaesus Todo and Acronis users here who will not recognise your comments about these products not being reliable. When used correctly they are both very reliable.

3. lostdata

lostdata Private E-2

Re: Tried Easus Todo and it failed to restore a backup properly, did I do something w

Long story, I was trying to recover my machine with plenty of corrupt system files using Nero. I found the old version of Nero I was using wouldn’t restore as its boot disk wouldn’t work on x64 machines or restore to another hard drive. So I tried the trial version of the latest Nero and its boot disk also wouldn’t work, but fortunately it would restore to another hard disk. So I used Easus copy disk to transfer the contents of the Win_RE protected partition and partition structure to the new hard drive, then used nero to restore the files of my primary partition.

I tested the free version of Easus and as with Nero I used one hard drive to run the software and the target was another hard drive. This worked fine, the restored files were all there but unfortunately the partitions location was changed so it wouldn't boot, nero confirmed this.

I never said Acronis was unreliable, but reviews I’ve read in Amazon for “Acronis True Image Home 2011:pC Backup and Recovery” have been negative.

4. Earthling

I'm sorry but none of that answers my question. HOW did you try to restore? It sounds like it was from within Windows from one hard drive to another. Is that so? If not how?

5. lostdata

lostdata Private E-2

Yes, as I said I tested easus by restoring a second hard drive while running the easeus software from another. The first hard drive was running windows and easus, the second hard drive was the destination for the restore, and the actual easeus pbd archive files were stored on an external hard drive. After that I disconnected the first hard drive to test the second hard drive which would not boot.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  6. Earthling

OK, it's not the usual or the recommended way to use the program, as you should restore an OS partition using the bootable CD. However it probably can be made to work OK if when you try again you restore the MBR along with the OS partition. That will write a new partition table to the target disk and the changed partition offset should not then be an issue. However your hybrid method of writing the partition structure with Nero before restoring the OS partition has resulted I believe in the partition table pointing to the wrong place.

If you want both Win_RE and your OS on the target disk then image them both with Easeus first. That will work correctly.

Let us know how it goes.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds