Tried everything to uninstall ie8

Discussion in 'Software' started by mannshands, Apr 20, 2010.

1. mannshands

mannshands Private First Class

IE8 is causing me problems. I cannot uninstall it. Been thru MS help but ie8 is not listed in progs to uninstall, tried the: %windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe trick, but ie8 not found. Tried 3 "premium uninstallers" that promised they could uninstall ie8, but they lie. My WINDOWS folder shows no ie8 folder(yes,I un-hid the view mode). I even tried the recovery console command line removal proceedure, but files not found. But ie8 is still installed and working.
    Please, how do I kill ie8??? Running xp sp3.
    Thanks
    mannshands

2. mannshands

Another angle. I do have an Internet Explorer folder with ie8 in my Programs folder. It has no uninstaller. What if I shred that whole IE8 folder and then run a good reg cleaner? Will that wipe it out without damaging something else I have overlooked?
    Cheers
    mannshands

3. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hello, mannshands, before you start messing with the registry, let's try a simpler approach. Go to add and remove programs, you should see an :
    IE 8 UPDATE Click onto that and delete or remove it then reboot your computer. You should revert right back to IE7. ;)

I did my neighbor's VISTA, and all I had to do was delete the update. It went right back to IE7 with no ill effects, and no problems. I have XP SP3 and IE7 myself. Try not to mess with the registry, if you can. There really is no need to do that..

4. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

By any chance did you install SP3 after the IE8 upgrade. If yes then you will have to uninstall SP3.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249/

Only do the above if you are sure SP3 was installed after IE8.
    Cheers..

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  5. turnorburn

turnorburn Private E-2

Try this mate it worked for me..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Follow this link and thoroughly read it I just went back to IE 7

Go to start then to run, type cmd.exe then paste this code in the box
    press enter

%windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe

Well, it did uninstall IE 8 then I had to upgrade to get the necessary security patches.
    Its a good thing to know if you have a need to revert to IE 7

Alternative steps for Windows XP or for Windows Server 2003

To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:

1. Carefully select and then copy the following command:

%windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe

2. Click Start, and then click Run.

3. In the Open box, type Cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.

4. Right-click inside the Cmd.exe window, and then click Paste to paste the command that you copied in step 1.
    5. Press ENTER to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.

6. When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer.

turnorburn

6. mannshands

Re: Tried all these suggestions allready

I tried to explain...
    I have no listing for IE8 anything in program-remove list. And I also tried the whole MS protocol, all of it, including the suggested links. "tried the: %windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe trick, but ie8 was not found. The only place i see it is in the Programs/Internet Explorer folder, which HAS NO UNINST file.
    This laptop had xp sp3 long before I updated from ie7 to ie8.

7. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

8. zinon

zinon Private E-2

The problem is that you are missing the C:\windows\ie8 folder. So the spuninst.exe won't work.

What you need to do is copy the ie8 folder from another computer and put it into your c:\windows folder then run spuninst.exe from C:\windows\ie8\spuninst

This will uninstall IE8, after the reboot you'll be back to IE7.

--
    David
    The truth is more than what is told, it is all the secrets that we hold.

9. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

I'm kind of surprised nobody's asked here, what problems are you having? I've put it on dozens of machines with absolutely no problems.
    But I always install like Sikvik said, no add-ons, no accelerators, no to everything, zero problems this way. :wave:wave

10. turnorburn

turnorburn Private E-2

Try booting up into safe mode by tapping on the f8 key, when it opens scroll up until you see "the last time everything was working right" then push enter.. that may allow you to work out the problem.

turnorburn

11. mannshands

The main problem it causes is i get a process rundll32.ClearMyTracks that has been linked to ie8. It comes and goes, but when running it eats so much memory pages stall, I lose my internet connectability(progs like uTorrent keep going,no new connections or surfing possible) and sometimes freeze the screen for a few minutes. If I kill it with procexp or with the task mgr the memory goes back to normal without any side effects, but I have to stop all activities, do Connection repair, and then restart any progs that go online to get back on line. I have done the complete MG's XP Cleaning and after all that the problem remained, so the tech doing my log scans suggested I repost here and approach this as a software problem, not malware.
    BRANDY: check the MS forums: there is a huge wave of similar problems since the new IE8, FFox3.6.3, Java, Flash updates come out. There are even websites dedicated to nothing but downgrading from IE8!!! MS has several pages of fixes that don't work for many. FF is sending out messages for you to uninstall some new Java update for 3.6.3 as a fix to their own product that was released without proper testing. I investigated all these possibilities, finally narrowing it down to an IE8 problem.
    Will try the other new suggestions.
    Thanks y'all

12. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hello, mannshands, maybe you should tell us exactly what you have done so far, to un-install/remove IE 8. You CAN remove the UPDATE, but you cannot ever remove IE. Even if you have other browsers, you still need IE. ;)

If you go to start > control panel > open "Add & Remove Programs". Now, look and see if there is a check-mark in the "Show Updates" at the top of that box. If not, put one there, and allow it to populate.

Now, if IE8 is still there, you should see the UPDATE IE 8. Just click onto it an delete it. Reboot, and you should have IE 7.

Now, if you don't see it, go to Microsoft and download IE 8 again, then go to add & remove programs and delete the update, UPDATE IE 8. You really should be able to delete it from there.

ALWAYS Reboot, and you should have IE 7.

Now, if you have tooled around with the registry, that is a whole new area. Please advise. ;)

13. mannshands

I reinstalled ie8. At install I got this msg: "Setup cannot uninstall the current version of ie8. To install a new version (that still cannot be removed) click ok".
    The parenthesis are theirs, not mine.
    I did it, installed rest of the way, then got this: "IE didn't install windows updates. Update from MS manually at next IE startup.". Now Internet Explorer 8 shows in the Remove Progs list, but no remove button is available and no Update listed. Also, spuninst.exe still missing. Going for the update now.
    I have only done reg cleans with ccleaner, no edits. I've killed a few processes chasing down this ClearMyTracks issue, but I am careful to google them first to see what they are.

14. mannshands

Re: Reinstall w/update

Ok. Installed Security package update for IE8 dated 31MAR10, newest update available. Now IE update is listed in Remove Progs list, with a remove button. Have not tried uninstall. Waiting to see if the ClearMyTracks issue has been fixed by the update. Should know in 24hrs if it returns.
    Nobody has said anything about the rundll32.ClearMyTracks. Can anyone confirm this process is in fact a security function of IE? Is it new to IE with v.8?
    Cheers

15. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hello mannshands, I have no idea what "ClearMyTracks" is. I am using IE7. I would suggest to do the updates, and see if that is what you needed. IF it still doesn't work properly, or you still have issues with it, just open the add & remove programs, and just delete the IE 8 Update. Then, reboot, and you will revert back to IE 7. Almost sounds too easy, now, doesn't it?

Have you googled that "ClearMyTracks" ? It might just be a new feature of IE8. I can't really say that it is, or that it isn't, because I don't use it.. Maybe BrandyPeppy will return and answer that question for you.

This may also be an issue, but do the updates first, and see how it works for you. When you did the "reg cleans" did you make any backups? That is highly recomended.

May be such a thing, as it just needed to update ..

16. mannshands

Re: ClearMyTracks - Tool or Conspiracy???

Only a few results in english when googled ClearMyTracks. Lots of chinese info that I can't read. I was led to The MS site forum for IE trouble shooting which had several posts saying ClearMyTracks & CMTracks are "suspected" of being a surf-history removal feature in IE8(seems they would promote that if true), or a tool for MS to remove evidence that they have used a backdoor to violate your privacy(another MS secret?). Still hoping to get a confirm on that from a buddy in Asia who works in MS development.
    I bet if I uninstall the update, it just goes back to the un-updated IE8 I started with. But as it is now I can multi-task again opening several websites and downloading torrents and listen to a radio stream simultaneously. :-D So until it messes up again I ain't gonna do the uininstall.
    Besides, I never use IE unless a site won't work in FFox(some forum sites & web radio players are incompatible with FF 3.6.2,3; FF blames it on a Java update, Java says do a full, clean reinstall of Java and suggest its really a Flash issue....Adobe points the finger back at MS update bugs)
    I always backup reg and do restore point at maintenance time. And I also keep a Live Linux CD handy for getting web-help when WIN related things inevitably crash.
    Will update tomorrow
    Cheers
    mannshands:major

17. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

I did find this, apparently a way to run IE clean-up tools from a command line;
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/clear-ie7-browsing-history-from-the-command-line/

Never heard of it before and it sounds like you were running some program that executed these commands. Could see how it would be simple to make a batch file do this, but wouldn't as it is easy enough to run from IE or, in my case, cCleaner does the same.

Still, it seems rather suspicious, esp. since you found Chinese references to this. You might want to run the malware removal steps from the malware forum just to be secure.

Doesn't hurt to run these every now and then anyway. Though I only run the combo fix program if there appears to be an infection. Very powerful program and on occassion has been know to cause issues, though that is supposed to be all resolved now. :wave:wave

18. mannshands

Re: Here is a procexp log showing all processes

I accidently started IE:confused. 10mins later the ClearMyTracksByProcess process returned to eat my memory:cry.
    I have googled the process PID but there is nothing useful. Attached is a txt file of procexp, maybe someone can make sense of it.
    The single entry is:
    rundll32.exe 2520 48.51 Run a DLL as an App Microsoft Corporation rundll32.exe D:\WINDOWS\system32\inetcpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 10747 (the 48.51 is memory use)
    Brandy: Checked link, thx. The process is mentioned as a command line clean up tool, though not the exact same number, but with no support info or further link. At least thats confirmation it exists. Still seems a bit dodgy tho...
    Cheers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  19. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Re: Here is a procexp log showing all processes

Your first sentence here would give strong evidence to malware.
    I would go do the steps in the following:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

:wave:wave

20. mannshands

Re: Been there, done that

The reason I am here in the first place is because I was instructed to do so by a MG's log checker after a complete MG XP cleaning failed to disclose any problem besides this process.
    Besides, why would me clicking the wrong shortcut indicate malware:confused??? "I accidently started IE."
    Will be doing IE8 update uninstall tonight.
    THX

21. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

No, it was the Clear my tracks process that apparently starts up automatically that was suspicious. And aside from that, is that the only problem you are having with IE8?

It would probably be helpful to see what is in your startup, get Winpatrol from HERE
    Run and post what is under the Startup tab.

Also check services, services.msc at a run box, is there any reference to Clear My Tracks in there?:wave

22. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

With Brandy on this. I'm on IE8 as well. On various Os's never noticed ClearMyTracks in TM. Malware can rename it's self though hmmm. Lets see if the uninstall sails through.
    Quick ques, how does IE play in safe mode?
    start menu-> All Programs-> Accessories-> System Tools-> Internet Explorer (no Add-ons). This opens up IE without ActiveX controls and browser extensions.

Cheers

23. mannshands

No mention of ClearMyTracks in services.
    Heres the WinPatrol Startup log.
    No problems with IE, Just what I've mentioned with performance and network. ClearMyTracks can start and run without IE being started or running.
    The uninstall is next.

24. mannshands

Re: uninstall ie8 update result

I uninstalled The IE8 update. At reboot I BSOD'd, fatal error:c000021a. Restarted. Update IE8 is gone from Remove Progs list, but IE8 remains. No remove button for that. And ClearMyTracks just started again. Ouch!

25. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

26. mannshands

Plodr: On post #18 I attached a procexp log.

27. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

:-o I really should open my eyes when I read - sorry.

The clear my tracks has to do with clearing things from IE.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess class pertains to deleting of browser history.

RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 1
    Delete History

RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 2
    Delete Cookies

RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 8
    Delete Temporary Internet Files

RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 16
    Delete Form Data

RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 32
    Delete Passwords

RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 255
    Delete All

RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 4351
    Delete All + files & settings stored by Addons.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    did not find your process.

28. mannshands

Re: mystery clean

Yes, I searched the two process numbers that my prob uses without luck. Guess I'm jammed till an updated IE package is released that wipes out my current IE8. I suspect it is an incompatibility with one of the other updated progs I installed in the same 01April session: FFox, Java or Flash. Problem started the next day. I've also noticed this process starts sometimes when I open uTorrent while FFox is already running. Not every time, but often.
    Other ideas...can I intentionally sabatoge IE and use the recovery console to reinstall the original IE7? I have a "view in IE" add-on for FFox; this has been working fine. Since FFox 3.6.3 has admitted Java and add-on incompatibility problems, maybe its got IE issues also?:confused

29. mannshands

Re: Can duplicate prob after observation

Hi,
    I have discovered that if I have uTorrent or BitComet running in backround and start IE8, when I shut IE within a few minutes ClearMyTracks starts. It has used a variety of PIDs, none of which are on the MS list of ClearMyTracks process ids. Once it starts I can no longer surf, though the torrents will keep going at normal speed. To reconnect my browser I must shut all progs, unplug/replug my ethernet cable, do connect repair, and then do a ISP speed test on my providers site(CableSur Spain on a rural Motorola Canopy System network using rooftop antenna/router units). The test drags for a moment, then the connection snaps back to normal. Now I can resume surfing with FFox and Dl'ing until I am forced to use IE again. Some sites don't work with new FF yet (ThorTorrent for example). Obviously by network connection is not prefect, but thats unrelated to this ClearMyTracks issue...isn't it?
    Still workin it out...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds