Trojan horse Small.AQN

Discussion in 'Software' started by thehawk70, Nov 1, 2008.

1. thehawk70

thehawk70 Guest

What gives? Almost every time I use my PC AVG detects a Trojan similar to the above. They're supposedly located in C:\System Volume Information\_restore........exe. but when I suggest AVG move it to the vault it says it can't because if can't be found!! I've a couple of malware programs but they uncover no Trojans when I run them.

2. thehawk70

thehawk70 Guest

Great...will try!

Another problem just cropped up and you sound like you may be able to solve it.

All of a sudden most of my short cuts - i.e., Program Files, my own created often used files, etc., open to the SEARCH option!

If I use the SEARCH option and search for a specific file in, say, PROGRAM FILES, it comes up.

Problem is there's no way I can remember all the files in these various shortcuts!

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

You "may" still have malware on your PC as not all scanners can remove the hard to find or new varients, so a trip to our Malware Removals forum area and run the Read Me Guide and then start new thread in that forum and attach your logs.

Could try these fixes as well but an undelying malware issue may cause these to not work

LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix (Restores Default Shortcut Behavior) from http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

12. EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP and Link File Fix for Windows XP from http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

or this one

Click Start > Run and typr regedit and hit enter, navigate to this location HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell and in the right hand windows double click Default and change the value data to none ( as in the word none ) and try your links again.

*I would first off before editing the registry if your not used to doing this, right click the Shell folder and choose Export to back it up before changing the value data*

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds