Trouble Connecting using Opera and IE but not Firefox

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by What's a Virus?, Jun 18, 2010.

1. What's a Virus?

What's a Virus? Private E-2

I have been having trouble with my connection since last night. I was trying to change my settings to have a static IP address, because I had a friend tell me it would improve functionality in a game we used to play (we had trouble keeping a connection to each other). I managed to get in to where I could change a setting from "Obtain IP Address Automatically" to "Static IP Address".

This caused all my family's computers to lose internet connectivity, and I was unable to access the 192.168.2.1 address from my computer. Using my younger brother's computer, I was able to access this and change the setting back to automatic, which seems to have completely restored internet functionality to the other two computers.

For my computer, I have still been having some connection problems. I have three browsers installed: Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Opera. Only Firefox (which I am using now) is working properly. Steam has not been working properly, and neither has Dungeons and Dragons Online, but Guild Wars has been able to connect fine.

I tried using ipconfig /renew in the command prompt, because one of the other posts on this forum recommended doing that, but it did not help. I think the problem is one of my settings somewhere, but I don't know what or where. I don't know the difference between the browsers or programs, but I listed them to help diagnose the problem.

2. What's a Virus?

I have gotten Opera to work by disabling proxy servers (one of the things recommended at the error screen, and was easy to do for Opera), but I haven't figured out how to do that for my whole computer yet. If anyone knows how to "Disable Proxy Servers" for the computer, let me know.

3. What's a Virus?

I fixed my problem. I'm running Vista 64.

To fix it, I went through the control panel, turned on the default view (I normally prefer classic view), clicked on "Network and Internet", and then clicked on "Internet Options".

From there, I found the "Connections" tab at the top, clicked on my LAN settings button, and disabled "Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections)".

I posted my solution here in case somebody else has the same problem I did. As of now, I don't think I need any more help to resolve this problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds