Trouble downloading adobe flash

Discussion in 'Software' started by alterintel, Nov 25, 2014.

1. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Hello:)
    First, thanks for enabling me to download two programs that I couldn't download from the author's sites. So I knew to come to your site; You all have always gotten it done for me. But this time I am having problem downloading adobe flash. I had uninstalled it few days ago as I was running out of space and had to download two big programs. Don't watch much video and have quick time. Also got sick of flash showing up on all my pages nagging me to download it. Finally found a "don't ask again" button and turned it off. My browser is firefox, and when I try to download it a window that is black with no writing appears and nothing happens. But ran search and all this adobe flash stuff came up, most of which I was able to delete except something attached to my anti spyware. Can someone tell me where MG has the flash for firefox, and walk me thru the download? I must have gone to the wrong thing on your download pages as flash for linux and others were on my computer when I ran search, but they didn't come up on my program lists, or show themselves till I'd run search.
    Thanks.

2. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Thanks Matt. All I have been getting is a black empty window titled installation file, but nothing happens. I will try this.

3. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Matt, I went to the site you linked, and it seems to be a site for distributers. It doesn't mention firefox, but does mention downloading flash for plug in dependent browsers, it says. I guess that would include ff? Then by that category it has some things in blue letters that you can clic on and they are the only things you can clic on. One is installer.exe, and the other is some initials, and I don't know what that is. I don't know what to do.
    Alterintel

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Out of band critical security update on 25 Nov. 2014 for flash

non-IE download
    Code:
    http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_15_plugin.exe
    IE download for Windows 7 and lower
    Code:
    http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_15_active_x.exe

6. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Eldon,
    I went to the page you indicated. I got notes saying I didn't have permission to access the item, and the black window with nothing in it. But as I worked my way down that page, something happened: I don't know what exactly; but the thing finally installed. I checked on my ff plug ins, and there it is.
    Thank you so much! :) I have been at this for hours. Don't know what has been going on, but it seems to be resolved.
    Alterintel

7. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Plodr, I will check those out. What does "out of band" mean?

Alterintel

8. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

9. plodr

Flash updates on Patch Tuesday, the same day as Microsoft offers all its patches/updates/security fixes. That is the designated patch day.
    Out of band means there is a critical patch that should be installed and offered on a day different from Patch Tuesday.

10. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

My old computer slows or crashes using the latest version of flash. I uninstalled it, and went to a page that is part of Adobe and lists older versions. But when you clic on download beside any of them, it takes you to the most current version, 15. I have tried other pages and their archives, but there doesn't seem to be a way to download archived versions. Or, I get a message saying I have to look for the program to open it, and I have no idea of what to look for or how. I just get a page on Microsoft telling me what kinds of extensions use what usually, and it is over my head. So is there anyway I can download version 10 or even a little later of Flash? My computer was ok with the older versions. Is there any alternative to flash? I don't do games or 3 d.
    Have work to do which involves needing to use something to see some views of samples of a website's product. When I try with flash 15, computer stalls, doesn't go forward. What I am trying to do is common and should be easy and resource lite. So maybe an alternative to flash could help?

11. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Is there any alternative to flash?

IrfanView. Download the main program then download the plug-ins. Used it with swf and flv files from 95 till today. Check MG's. It used to be here.

12. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

13. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

pwillener,
    Thank You, thank you, you wonderful Geek. I went to the link and the download was successful and works fine on the sites I need it for.
    The name of what I downloaded was "adobe flash player 16 NPAPI". Mention this cause I do not know what NPAPI is.
    Happy holidays to you.
    alterintel

14. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Not to interrupt, but I got curious and looked up Flash 16 NPAPI. NPAPI stands for Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface (NPAPI). It is a cross-platform plugin architecture used by many web browsers.

Info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPAPI

15. plodr

AtlBo, you just saved me having to look that up on my to-do list! Thanks!

16. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

My head is spinning in Flash threads. I didn't realize there are two until now.

You're welcome plodr. Still wondering who actually found the time to write the Wikipedia article. Another +1 for Wikipedia...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds