Trouble Formating XP Machine

Discussion in 'Software' started by Main Frame, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Main Frame

Main Frame Corporal

Okay, so I'm trying to format this computer that has WindowsXP installed. I tried a normal boot disk so that I could get to a command prompt, but it kept saying that C: wasn't a valid drive. So I downloaded some "Ultimate Boot Disk" program from this site and tried using it, but every time I boot with it it says to remove all disks and press a key. It won't do anything with that disk in the A: drive.

I tried reinstalling windows with a full install, but it just overwrote the sysytem files and didn't actually format the drive, which is what I need to do.

So, how the heck do you go about formating a machine with WindowsXP installed on it??

2. Hax

Hax Private E-2

You need to boot of the XP disk, follow the prompts, and choose format with the new install option. Just read carefully.

3. chopinpl

chopinpl Private E-2

Sounds like a your current Xp configuration is formatted with NTFS vs. FAT32, which your floopy boot disks are using. If you have XP installation cd, then all you need is right on it. You can delete, create and format partitions.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Boot from your XP cd and then if you are clean installing follow this from BlackViper http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPPro/installxppro1.htm pay particular attention to section 4 onwards .. partitions if you want to start from scratch then delete the partition then create a new one.. then you go into formatting choose NTFS and the rest is plain sailing!

5. Main Frame

Main Frame Corporal

Okay.. this is a Dell, with it's own XP cd, I don't know if that makes a difference..

So you're saying I should just change the boot order so that the cd boots first? I was booted from the CD one time, but when I told it to delete the partition on C: it said it contained setup files or some crap and I couldn't delete it.

I'll try booting straight from the CD now.. thanks for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds