Trouble installing GeForce 8600 GT

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PrinceJ, Jul 21, 2007.

1. PrinceJ

PrinceJ Private E-2

My onboard GeForce 6150SE-nforce 430 video isn't cutting it for my Battlefield 2 play, so I got an 8600 GT card to do the job.

I cannot install the new card into the PCI-E slot without the monitor staying black when I start up the PC. I've tried staying plugged into the onboard card and restarting the PC, but with the same prob. I've tried just plugging into the new card, but still a blank screen.

I've tried disabling the onboard card and then inserting the new card before booting back up, but still a blank screen. Hmmmm.

I have an Acer Aspire ASE380-UD440A machine with Vista.

Any help is very much appreciated.

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I believe that you need to press del, or, f2, whatever to get into the Bios screen.
    Then you need to ensure that the graphics will look for the PCI card first, by changing in the bios, THEN PRESS F10, SAVE AND RESTART.

3. PrinceJ

PrinceJ Private E-2

Thank you! That worked. Now I need to download the drivers for this godforsaken Windows Vista that came bundled with my machine.

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

This was always the way with the PCI to agp cards, but the ATI controller shuts down when you instal a PCI-e card on a system with on-board video, hence the blank screen.

5. PrinceJ

PrinceJ Private E-2

BTW, my new card works great, thanks to your assistance and the new drivers for Vista. I'm playing my FPS games at full resolution and loving every minute of it.:D

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Always good to know, as Vista seems to be knocked by so many-

7. daawny

daawny Private E-2

I have the very same onboard card and bought the same 8600 and same issue how do I or waht do I change in bios to make sure its reading it first? And where can I get a driver for it that will actually work with vista .. I go to manufactur site and it doesnt allow me to download it?

8. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

9. daawny

daawny Private E-2

Ok call me blonde lol :_0 but I went into bios enabled pci but it still gives me blank screen

10. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Is your monitor hooked to the new video card? You could try installing the new driver in Safe Mode.

11. daawny

daawny Private E-2

Ok I got it to see my 8600 fine then it wants to keep installing my onboard card how do I stop this? <pulls hair out>

12. rlferg1

rlferg1 Private E-2

There probably is a jumper on the MB to disable onboard video. Or maybe it can be done in the bios setup. Turn off computer, then UNPLUG and wait a few minutes for the capacitors to clear. Then change the jumpers. This cannot be done hot unless you want to flirt with all of life's unanswered questions!

13. daawny

daawny Private E-2

YAY! I got it! all is well in the land of hardware hell! lol mmo here I come with killer graphics! Ty for all your help

14. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Sweet, good job.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds