Trouble installing Service Pack 1 Vista, despite trying about 50 fixes

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mr. Nerd, May 20, 2012.

1. Mr. Nerd

Mr. Nerd Private E-2

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone could advise on a problem I haven't been able to solve. I have Windows Vista 32bit. While installing Service Pack 1 I get the following error: 0x80070490. Here are the things I have so far tried to fix it:

• Install from automatic updates (note that all other updates installed fine)
    • download and do a manual install
    • run spyware scan (no finds or indications of current spyware)
    • exit all running programs
    • run from Windows safe mode
    • run Windows checkdisk (which did find and repair some errors)
    • run Tweaking.com Windows Repair program, which does the following; system file check, reset registry permissions, reset file permissions, register system files, repair WMI, repair MDAC, reapir hosts file, remove policies set by infections, repair winsock and DNS cache, repair proxy settings, repair windows updates, repair MSI (Windows Installer)
    • have run the Microsoft Fixit Program Install Repair (to see if the service pack was maybe installed already but broke, but was not on list)
    • tried to uninstall service packs from installed programs list, was not there
    • and finally, I even put in the Vista install disk (it is a legal copy) and tried a Window Repair from disk, which failed at about 95% of the way through

None of which made the error go away, or even changed the error code.

I'd really like to play Diablo 3 without having to format the whole hard drive (which of course won't install without Service packs installed). Anyone got any additional tips?

Thanks in advance

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

All I have is bad news from experience. I switched to W7 a while ago, because I got tired of Vista, especially the errors with the language packs in the Ultimate version.

Only way I ever got Vista to work right, was a "boot and nuke" which is affectionately referred to as dban on this site. After I ran a Guttmann, which is the most thorough format you can run, I got Vista to work proper. I do believe, however, that this was pure dumb luck sometimes.

Windows often does a crappy job of formatting a drive, and errors sometimes don't go away permanently with a "repair" because not all of the data is totally overwritten.

I could be wrong on this, but it did work for me once upon a time. Someone else may have a solution for you, I can't say. For reference, Vista is up to SP2. Keeping totally up to date helps ALOT.

3. MrNerd

MrNerd Private E-2

It would indeed help a lot to install service pack 2, Mekanic. In fact that is my end goal. But as I'm sure you know, you can't install service pack 2 until you install service pack 1. ;)

4. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Listen, I'd just wipe it cleaner than a baby's tush, plus had data and apps backed up beforehand.

When did you perform THIS original install before deciding to upgrade to SP!?

A day, week, month, YEAR?

:major

5. MrNerd

MrNerd Private E-2

Actually, Mekanic, I am pretty sure I actually had both SP1 and 2 on here. If I were to levy my best guess, I think they actually ARE installed and are blocking their own re-install, because Windows can't recognize they are already there. I can't guess how long the issue has been going on though, because Steam Installs don't even check for that. And 95% of my games come from Steam (glorious Steam).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds