Trouble locating Power Switch conn.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rfsumner, May 17, 2007.

1. Rfsumner

Rfsumner Private E-2

I just built a computer out of parts retrieved from various sources and have run into a slight problem.
    I picked up an old motherboard off a friend and realised that there is no actual designation for wher I should connect the power switch, reset switch or the LEDs for either of those.

For the record it is an IBM 33P3750 designate motherboard. I have tried looking online and in the support for IBM but have come up empty so far. I managed to find a manual for it but it gave me no help in figuring out where to connect everything.

Anyone have any advice/help or should I just start hooking up the power switch and hope I get lucky?

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

From looking around, it appears to have a front panel power kit/connector for this, and might be in one piece, originally.
    I got this, but it might be what you already have.
    ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/netvista_pdf/24p2934.pdf

To get anything from IBM support you need a 4 number - 3 letter code off the board.

Now having said that , if you look at the pins which are above the IDE connection, in a row, that is where they fit, and if you can give us any numbers, printed on the board , we might be able to help. Quite often, motherboards say different, on the board to what you have to connect .
    power switch, reset switch or the LED, can be pw, led could be something similar, --if there is any abbreviation, on this little block of pins.

3. Rfsumner

Rfsumner Private E-2

Thanks for the info about IBM support, I wouldn't have guessed offhand. Not used to dealing with them.

Above the IDE connection? Seriously?
    I would have figured for the double-row block near the bottom front of the board, where most have their connections. Then again, that makes some sense.

If that is the right area I managed to find a J27 ident. on the box outlining the block of pins, and an 'R3' partially inside said box, directly above the primary IDE connection. There looked to be some other numbers inside the outline, but they were obscured by the plastic casing the block of pins so I can't really say as to what they are.

Not the greatest info I know, but is what I could come up with.

EDIT: Forgot to say that that is the same manual I came up with. Thanks for the help by the way, I appreciate it.

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

In that manual, you scroll down the pages to the motherboard diagram.
    If you look where I said the front panel connectors are shewn there, with no further information, but looking around, I found somebody had bought the same board (seconhand, I think, and his had this set of leads and front panel connector sent with it.- That is what I based my information ,to you ,on.

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

6. Rfsumner

Rfsumner Private E-2

Yeah, i found that same forum post trying to figure out how to solve the problem. Still leads me back to the original issue though, having a set of leads not connected to the motherboard with no indication of where to put them in what configuration.

I have everything connected but those 4 leads from the front panel, which of course, I'm at a loss as to place right now. The obvious being the double row of pins set close to the leads, but no obvious (or subtle even) indication of how to place them, and being as it is a double row of 8, more than a few possibilities.

Ah well, I'll check with my friend (provided I get a reply soon) and see if she has come up with anything seeing as how it was her board in the first placem and in the meantime hunt for more clues.

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Has your friend got the front panel lead/connector, still
    Position
    Page 45, item number 3

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If she had, you might be able to work out the colour cables, to connect yours to.

9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

The lead was probably left in the case ?

10. Rfsumner

Rfsumner Private E-2

The colour leads are still in the case, just need to figure out where to place them. Unless I'm way off base I have all the standard ones in here: the orange/white power switch; blue/white reset switch etc.

Or am i completely out to lunch here?

11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you are talking about the lead that was in the base unit that the motherboard came out of - that's what you need.
    I would suggest you follow the wires to see if the plug fits on the back of the front panel switching connection to try to see where they come from, and then note the leads at the end that goes onto the board, and orientate the plug to see where they relate to the motherboard, and front switches, before doing anything.
    Alternatively, if you are feeling very brave,
    Sometimes these plugs have a small tab on the side that , if you are careful, you can lift up with a tiny screwdriver, and release the end of the individual cables. If you make yourself a drawing where they go, you could do the same with the smaller tags on your base unit and put these into that plug, pro-rata.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds