Trouble using Vista startup manager

Discussion in 'Software' started by frybo30, Jan 12, 2010.

1. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

I want to use the Vista startup manager that I read about on this board. Some time ago, I disabled Windows Defender in favor of Microsoft Security Essentials. But when I go to Control Panel > Performance and Information Tools and click Manage Start Ups, I get a message that "Windows Defender Is Turned Off" and I should turn it back on. That message just sits there until I close it. What to do? Thanks.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Thats due to that setting in Vista being controlled by Windows Defenders menus and the Software Explorer it has built in (sadly this was not added to Security Essentials), to use it you have to turn on Defender, TBH I didnt have any issues on a Vista pc with having Defender turned on as well.

If you wish to manage startups then use the standalone version of StartupCPL, the installer version last time I tried it doesnt install properly (could have been me using x64 Vista tho)

3. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Thanks. I downloaded Startup CPL, but now I can't find it in my system.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

The Standalone one is fould in a zip file to wherever you save your downloads to, so try again and note the folder its saving to, then run it manually from the unzipped folder.

But TBH enable Defender and use its Software Explorer as its fine running with MSE, just remember if you have multiple users on the PC to click the Show All Users button to gain all the startups, I found no issues with it on a few PCs of mine when running the beta of MSE and Vista x64 and x86, dont run Vista now apart from in a Virtual PC enviroment as I moved on but still wouldnt have thought in later versions would cause any issues.

5. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Okay, I found it where it should have been. Thanks for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds