Trouble with TV PCI cards! bt878 chipset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Count, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Count

Count Private E-2

Hi Geeks,

(Not sure if I should post this in hardware or software - it is a software issue for my hardware!)

If anyone has any advice/help on this matter would be really appreciated!

I have 2 TV cards which I am trying to set up. Both are bt878khf chipsets. One is a Hauppage, the other is unknown.

System is a PII 333 Win98SE. Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo 2. SB Awe64 Gold (clashing with current Windows Sound System (SIS 3D onboard))

Story so far:
    Have managed to install either card into a spare slot, and load the bt878 drivers. The card (either of them) appears in Device Manager as bt878 Fusion Capture Device (one entry each for video and audio). So it would appear to be physically working and installed!

Next: - The issue I have now is trying to access the card with some software. This I have totally failed to do!

I don't have any of the original bundles so am finding and downloading apps from the net to try. Most of the apps I have downloaded so far don't actually work and they are making a mess of my current Windows install!

* Tried WinTV, an add on of WinAmp; but will not work properly on my system. WinAmp causes illegal operations.

*Chris TV Lite - This doesn't work properly, but is the closest I have come. Very dodgy operation, causes graphic crashes all over the place! 'Sees' the card, will scan frequencies but does not find any picture.

* Hauppage WinTV 32 and 2000 - neither of which work; both have missing DLLs and cause illegal functions!

*Destroy Media Player - Doesn't work.

All I want/need is to be able to scan the frequencies to find a picture.

The main use is to pick up the RF signal from Atari ST/Spectrum computers!

This is very frustrating! Does anyone have any guidance or tips for me? Is there a good TV Tuner app? Anyone had sucess with TV cards on Win98??

2. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

That VooDoo 2, is it a 3Dfx video card, or am I misreading it? I've had quite a bit of experience with the VooDoo 3Dfx video cards, mostly the 3000/3500 series. The 3500 is a TV/FM tuner with digitizer.

So am I in the ballpark, or way off base?

3. Count

Count Private E-2

Yep - The Voodoo is a 3dFX card. (Needed for Toal War and Black & White!). That works fine. It isn't a TV card tho. It only has sockets for SVGA Monitor thru.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds