Trouble with Windows/ Update (because conflict with antimalware software?)

Discussion in 'Software' started by fortuneteller1936, Apr 4, 2013.

1. fortuneteller1936

fortuneteller1936 Private E-2

This is my story.
    My PC is ASUS ET2012-EGKS
    with WIN7 Home Premium SP1
    Pentium G630
    RAM 4 GB
    HD 500 GB

Last 13 march, after downloading a Windows update (I don't know what kind or code of update) during night, on the screen was: "Configuration Windows on going, do not switch off PC" and Windows did not start.
    Firstly I restarted Win in safe mode and the system was ok but, after I tried again to install the update, the system remained blocked with the same message on screen and I had to do a full sytem restore.
    According to MS support that was because a conflict with Comodo firewall or other antimalware software.
    I use:
    Avast antivirus
    Comodo firewall
    Emsisoft antimalware
    Super Antispyware
    Spybot
    but they did not say what of these could be respnsible of the trouble and adivise me to disinstall all but Avast and install Microsoft essential.
    At the present I deactivate automatic Windows update but I am not sure how to do to prevent another crash.
    Does anyone know which software is in conflict or did anyone have the same trouble?
    Should I deactivate these software, install updates and then activate again my protection software?

thanks
    Antonio

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I do not have Office installed so you might have more updates for March than I do. (I have 64bit Win 7 Home Premium).
    These are the March updates:
    2809289 (for IE 9)
    IE 10 (which I have hidden and did not uinstall)
    890830 Mal. malware removal tool
    2814124 silverlight

So 2809289, 2807986, 890830 and 2814124 are safe to install.

Just try to install them and see if your computer operates normally.

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

Or do a system restore to a previous time, then apply one update at a time. But, of course, first go through plodr's suggestion first.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds