Trouble working w/Zipped/Compressed "Stuff"

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Oct 18, 2008.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I have never much "gotten" (understood) "compressed" or "Zip" files (I suppose their "purpose" is for space saving and/or security??). I have "worked with" (had some success using) some in the past, but for the most part (most of the time), I have trouble with them, and dread seeing them when they are downloaded (when I download programs that are of this type).

Currently, I am having a :tas DEVIL of a time with "StartupCPL(.exe)". I "somehow" had it open once, "successfully" (?), but now, cannot seem to get it to open again, as I had before. Miraculously I was able to get it to pin to my start menu (finally), but from there, I am lost ... it just keeps wanting to "Install" - and it is already "installed".

Is there a "good" (simple) tutorial or something somewhere where I can learn about these things?

Thanks in advance,
    g ...

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Did you go to your control panel.....which is where it resides?

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Bingo. Thank you. Just as I had the first time I was able to open it, and as per the directions ...

I must confess though, when I first read the aforementioned directions, I wasn't sure if it meant "My CP", or a CP within the program itself ... but I'll try to remember (yet another thing, that I thought was part of the reason I owned one of these machines in the first place for - so I wouldn't have to "remember" so many things - ?) next time ... and thanks again ...

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Glad you found it in Control Panel.

Just a thought you probably have "pinned" the installer program to the Start menu. You may avoid future aggravation by deleting the shortcut on the Start menu by right-clicking it and selecting delete.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds