Troubleshooting Battery Charging Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hcrawfor, Mar 5, 2013.

1. hcrawfor

hcrawfor Private First Class

When the Battery Icon on a laptop reflects the following: '0% available (plugged in, not charging)'... how does one determine if the battery no longer holds a charge, or if the charger is defective?

The laptop runs fine when plugged-in, and it's a backup VISTA laptop. I don't want to spend a lot on money fixing, but have no problem with purchasing a new battery or charger,,, if that will fix the problem. Thanks.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What make and model is the laptop? may help us on a discharge cycle, to see if an outside chance that may work.

How old is the laptop and is this the original battery?
    The laptop I would imagine works ok when the battery is removed and you are plugged into mains?

Can try this free app BatteryCare HERE and see if it helps with info.

3. hcrawfor

Yes. Laptop works with battery removed and plugged in.

Acer - Aspire 5326-2153; VISTA Home Basic; Original battery and about 5+ years old.

Another unrelated issue. Laptop is very slow. Task Manager often reflects explorer.exe using 100% CPU, and no sofware is running. I've cleaned junk files, defragged and ran a few different virus scans. Computer appears clean.

Thanks

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Cheers for the info, but did the BatterCare app give any usage, performance data, wear rate?

So far the charger/mains adapter should be ok as it runs your laptop ok still so power is getting through, what we cannot test really is internally will it charge even a new battery, unless one is tested sadly. But the info from BatteryCare app may help with wear rates etc

5. hcrawfor

BatteryCareApp - Battery Information

Basic Info:
    Current battery capacity - 0%
    Battery remaining time - none
    Battery status - Full charge

Detailed Info:
    Designed Capacity - 44400 mWh
    Total Capacity - 23255 mWh
    Current Capacity - 0 mWh
    Charge/discharge rate - 0 W
    Tension (Voltage) - 9315 mV
    Wear Level - 47.62%
    Total discharge cycles - 0

If the above info reflects a bad battery, I'll purchase a new one and give it a try. I found a website with good reviews (and return policy), which sells this battery for $10. As mentioned earlier, this is a backup laptop. I normally run a newer, Windows7 laptop. If it doesn't solve the issue, I'll simply use this laptop plugged in.

Please provide your interpretaion from the BatteryCareApp info.

Thanks

6. biddysere

biddysere Private E-2

I'm having the same problem. Plugged my battery into another computer and it charged right up

7. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

You really need your own help thread Biddysere:p

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=31333

I would recommend you calibrate the laptop to the battery, without knowing your computer specs here's HP's calibration guide which I have followed numerous times, if you need more help start a thread:)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00817650#N53

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds