trying to build a new gaming pc... HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anon-125cdb8a9b, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Anon-125cdb8a9b

Anon-125cdb8a9b Anonymized

Im not really computer building-literate so here i am.

Im looking to have a gaming pc built, but i dont know what to put in it. I dont want it to be super duper good at gaming, but i do want it to be somewhere in the top end, so that it can handle most games with ease.

Im in the UK, and my budget is about £1000, but like i said i dont want it super duper good so dont aim to reach that budget.

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

this would come in at around grand and give you more than enough to play most games but dont forget you have to put an OS on that price and these are specs for a 64bit system (it's better for gaming.)

EVGA GeForce GTX 260 graphics card.
    OCZ Gold 3x2GB 240-Pin DDR3 Ram
    GIGABYTE X58 mother board
    Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz CPU
    Antec 1200 Full Tower case
    Antec 850W power supply.

I have suggested the full case and a powerful PSU to give plenty of scope for upgrades at a later date, but you could save a little cash on those parts.

3. Anon-125cdb8a9b

Thanks for the very quick response.

Couple of questions:

1. Is that all the components i would need? just those parts in the tower or would there be more? cd-rom dvd-rom cooling? (thats as far as my pc knowledge goes for any additions)

2.Would you say Vista or Windows 7?

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

You will need a CD-DVD read/burn but they are very cheap.

As for OS windows 7 is without doubt the best, it is far more stable and smoother than Vista.

The cooling with the Antec case is more than adequate to disperse the heat via plenty of fans.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129043

5. Anon-125cdb8a9b

about Windows 7, will i have problems with playing my games on the pc? im talking older games or current ones...

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

On this forum no one will get annoyed with you we are here purely to give help to the less experienced.

The only stupid question is the that is not asked.

Playing older games will not be a problem as there is a facility to run programs under older MS OSs built into windows 7.

7. Anon-125cdb8a9b

Thank you so much for your help BILLMCC66. Have been to see a friend who is going to build the pc for me, ive told him what i want and he said he'll get back to me.

Thank you.

8. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

As i live in the UK too, If you are going to order the parts of the net, i would recommend either MicroDirect or Overclockers, they are both reliable and offer great customer support.

9. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

I used to use Ebuyer but I don't know if they are still cheap, just had a look but I'm used to north american prices now and it all is pretty expensive, the 5970 we're talking about in another thread is around $700 US and 550 pounds UK.... thats around $850 US ....Ouch!!

10. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

I don't think i quite get that , but ok.

In my experience Ebuyers RMA is rather poor, and they have virtually no customer support.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds