trying to give old pc new life.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by peacercs, Dec 10, 2005.

1. peacercs

peacercs Private E-2

ok... I have a problem.. I recived (for FREE) a Packard Bell Multimedia s621. The hard drive wont boot (not even any movement), and also the CDROM is dead. Floppy still works as far as I know. ok.. so I got a new hard drive, its 10gig, and was out of a Win98 machine. now is the rough part.. I put in the new hard drive with the jumper on the correct pins, It starts to boot and I get this..

This driver is provided by Oak Technology Inc
    OTI-91x ATAPI CD-ROM device driver REV: D91XV353

Device name : MSCD000
    No drives found aborting installation

Device driver not found MSCD000
    No vaild CD-ROM device driver selected

C:\

the specs on the machine (that I have) are as follows:
    Pentium MMX
    233mHz
    not sure about memory yet.

also... there are 1 things I noticed... there are 6 pins on the old hard drive, and there are 8 on the new hard drive. Can anyone help me? Thanks .. and I sure do appriciate it. Thanks again. =- Peace

2. 0S1R1S

0S1R1S Private E-2

are you trying to boot the 98 O/S HDD with that computer? if so. it wont work. the system configuration was for the 98 machine. and not he specs of this computer your trying to boot it with. my advice is to get a new cdrom, run it on the seconday IDE as master. and run the new HDD on the Primary as master. boot to a 98 boot disk and debug, or format the drive and start totally clean. and that should work.. let me know if that helps

3. 0S1R1S

0S1R1S Private E-2

and also.. is the jumper setting config posted on the top of the HDD? if not you might need to find the specific settings for that make/model online somwhere. you just need to know what it is.

4. peacercs

peacercs Private E-2

ok I think I understand.. lemmie ask you this though.. Do you HAVE to have a CD-Rom? and if so why? and yes there are diagrams on both HDD's but they are both different. like I mentioned before... the old HDD has 6 pins.. and the new one has 8. ive tried every way that is says for both HDD's but cant come up with anything. and .. can ya help a noobie out and tell me.. what the hell is DEBUG? ive been hearing this with computers and games. and all kinds of stuff here lately but I dont know what it means.. thanks for your help 0S, and everyone else!

=- Peace

5. 0S1R1S

0S1R1S Private E-2

Yes every HDD manuf. makes their jumper settings different. One setting for one might be totally different for another, but if you want it to recognize the HDD you need to set the jumper for Master. The CDROM isnt required, but the 98 O/S on the new HDD will have to be wiped out and reinstalled. Because the 98 drive is configured for whatever box you took it out of, so if you tired to run it with your machine. the registry would be all whacked and it might not even boot correctly. So you might need a new CDROM for the support of getting a new O/S on it. and debug is a routine is used to erase all partition information on the hard disk. When at a: you would type the debug script and all information is pretty much instantly wiped out. and then you re-partition, format, and install windows. and that would get it running again. if you have a windows disk, all you need is a cheap CDROM drive and youll be rollin.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds