Trying to host an FTP, DNS wont work!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Axis304, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Axis304

Axis304 Private E-2

So I want to use an old box I have to hold my media and things like that so I can access them elsewhere. Well I planned on using linux for this box so I have to use noip.com for my dns host because i have dynamic ip. On to the problem...

So if I directly type in my external IP I can connect just fine without problem, but when I try and use the DNS name that I picked it wont work at all. I have check my software and hardware firewalls and they are configured to allow access to the necessary ports. And when I ping the dns it comes back with results, but I still can't connect to it. Any help here?

Thanks guys,
    Axis

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

try start run cmd, then type in nslookup in the command prompt, should give you a slighty different prompt. Then type your dns name in and see what ipaddress it resolves too, sounds like your dns isn't resolving to the correct ip address.

3. Axis304

Axis304 Private E-2

Should that be the problem (I cannot tell right now as I do not have access to the PC) how would I go about solving it?

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

update your dns records with who ever is providing you the dns name, to your correct external ip, Also find out how often your external (or wan) ip changes. Could just be changing quicker then you can update.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds