Trying to install a drive; failing miserably

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jimpeel, Jan 23, 2007.

1. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I have been trying to install a new drive in my unit.

The original drive that was a gift last year went ka-ka after nine months. The warranty replacement went ka-ka after two months. The newest warranty replacement won't install. All were Maxtor drives.

The original drive was a 120G and the replacements were upgrades to 160G. I had no trouble with installing any of the drives until now.

When I tried to install the newest Maxtor 160G drive it gave the message "Remove disks or other media; hit any key to restart". There were no disks in the unit. All that happened when I hit the "any key" was a perpetual loop of the same message.

soooooooo ... I tried installing a Seagate 160G drive instead. This went smoothly but when it was finished the second partition had not mirrored and I had no recovery partition nor recover capability.

Not having sense enough to leave well enough alone, I called Seagate and they told me that I would have to repartition the drive with two partitions and then run the install program again. I would then have to do a file copy of the second partition; but that might not work.

soooooooo ... I repartitioned the drive -- which used to boot -- and ran the installation program again -- and again -- and again each time getting the message that the file c:\windows\system32\hal.dll was either corrupt or missing and to install a fresh copy of this file.

soooooooo ... I went to the original system restore disk set and found the file hal.dll and copied it to the appropriate directory. Same message.

soooooooo ... I then reinstalled the original Maxtor 160G and said to myself "Self, you have been doing this all wrong. You need to boot from a CD with MaxBlast 4.0 instead of from the C: drive." Sheer genius!

soooooooo ... I downloaded the MaxBlast 4.0 .iso file from Maxtor.com and burned a CD. I then booted from the CD and everything went absolutely swimingly. The partitions and recovery files were there and everything looked as though all was right with the universe -- until I installed the new drive as the new boot drive.

There was that damned "file c:\windows\system32\hal.dll corrupt or missing" message that I got on the Seagate drive.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Any help out there for this misbegotten soul?

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

3. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Toke,

The article seems to apply to those who are starting with a new drive out of the box and an over-the-counter copy of XP. I am trying to mirror the existing drive onto the new drive.

I have done this several times with great success but this time it simply s---s on me.

All I have in the way of "installation" disks is the system restore disk set that I made from the computer when I got it. The problem with using them is that they -- even with a non-destructive restore -- send the computer back to the dark ages before SP1 and SP2 and it also puts all of the screwed up software back on that came with it; like Wild Tangent, etc.

Is there any way around this?

I found this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305595/ which seemed to address my problem but when I searched the hard drive for a copy of boot.ini, none was found. I searched all files including system and hidden files to no avail. I didn't find one on the restore discs either.

4. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Hmmmm. Looks like everyone has run into the same brick wall I have. I guess I'll just go ahead and do the system recovery and, still one more time, delete all of the extraneous crap and get the updates from MS.

I sure wish that there was some way to get the latest installed software from HP but I have asked and they say that I can only get the software that takes me back to 2003.

<sigh>

Thanks for the help, Toke. Wish I had a real copy of XP because if I did I wouldn't be going through all of this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds