Trying to install a SATA Hard drive into a ATA computer--Help me please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Notverygoodwithcomputers, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Hi,

I purchased my computer around 2001. It has ATA motherboard (I do not know if this is even the way to say this...sorry to everyone who knows these things) I have a smaller ATA Hard drive. I recently purchased a Maxtor Maxline Pro 500...500GB SATA 3.0 GB HDD. I also purchased a "Nexxtech" ATA PCI: serial Adapter. I tried installing the SATA card and connected the SATA cable to the new SATA drive and plugged in the SATA power supply into the Hard drive (new power supply had a connector). I am using Windows XP Home ed SP2. I installed the Serial adapter card on to my computer. My problem is that the drive is not working. The start up screen does not even recognize the new Hard drive. Can anyone help me with this? I do not know very much about computers and how I can fix this situation. Thanks for your time!
    Edit/Delete Message

2. Thank you for your information. I am trying to download the maxblaster now. Hope this works

3. I tried to download the Maxblast hard drive setup disc. It did not do anything. I s there anything else i can do or am I doing it right? Maybe there are some steps I am missing. Any help you can help out with would be appreciated.

4. n3et

n3et Private E-2

Settings/Control Panel/System/Device Manager/Disk Drives should show your drive and you check driver and try to update it.

5. maybeok

maybeok Private First Class

Hi,

Just a Suggestion?

[This is taken from a Gigabypte Setup? = Yours may be a little different = You may a user guide on your motherboard???]

Bring your computer up in the BIOS mode and check within the page of "CMOS Setup Utility" Within the "CMOS Setup Utility" you should see On-Chip Sata Mode and if so not enabled suggest to enable same.

Also you could have a look within the "Standard BIOS Features" setup and the "Advanced BIOS Features" setups and check if it is customised correctly?

Hope will assist

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds