Trying to install iTunes onto my Windows XP system

Discussion in 'Software' started by VeryEager, Aug 12, 2011.

1. VeryEager

VeryEager Private E-2

Hi, I'm new and I'm not all that much of a techy, so I need some help.

I'm trying to install iTunes onto my Windows XP system but it freezes up during installation and a box pops up that says Gathering Information... Status: Performing Installation Checks. It stays like this for hours and has no further progress.

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or not, but from reading another thread someone advised to go to right click My Computer and click Manage and view the Event Viewer.

Upon doing so, I see 2 Errors. One Application Error- Source: VBRunTime Description: The VB Application identified by the event source logged this Application MSICUU: Thread ID: 1932, Logged

And one System Error- Source: Service Control Manager Description: The SessionLauncher service failed to start due to the following error: the system cannot find the path specified.

Please help! I've spent several hours Googling and I can't seem to come up with anything that's worked so far. I've updated drivers among other things.. :cry

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Service Pack is your XP at? right click My Computer > Properties will tell you.

But are you logged into the Administrators account? if not do so and they re-install iTunes.

Also try disabling your antivirus software and reinstalling again, and also follow the info HERE

The error in Event Logs maybe a red herring, as that file iirc belongs to Roxio CD buring software, do you have Roxio or Sonic installed? and was the error date and time, exactly around the time you where installing iTunes, if it was then try uninstalling Roxio (make sure before you do this you have the original medai to allow you to install it back again) and then install iTunes.

3. VeryEager

VeryEager Private E-2

I have service pack 3. I'm not sure if the account I was logged into was the administrators account or not. Let me try it again.

4. VeryEager

VeryEager Private E-2

Ok, YES I'm logged in as an administrator. I've tried almost everything on the iTunes troubleshooting page. Earlier I got it to install about halfway through but it froze. I just tried again and now I can't even get that far again. It's back to the previous box: Gathering Information.. etc.

I'm so close to hiring someone this is making me so angry!

5. a_cup

a_cup Private E-2

Maybe a corrupt installer..?

Try to unregister MSIEXEC in the command prompt and then re register.

msiexec.exe /unregister > Enter
    msiexec.exe /regserver > Enter

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds