Trying to install WinXP networked printers on Linux machine...

Discussion in 'Software' started by maggieboby, Apr 7, 2007.

1. maggieboby

maggieboby Private E-2

My son has 'discovered' Linux OS - specifically Kubuntu AMD 64(edgy) with KDE. We have two printers on our XP network for our two wireless computers (no print server, just virtual drivers.)

We want to be able to add the printers to his OS so that he could print when he wants to. He tried installing them through the 'add a printer' (the KDS wizard), let it "find" printers on the network and got an error message (error returning browse list: NT_ACCESS_DENIED)

Could one of you wonderful "experts" give us the "low down" on how to install the printers? I'm thinking he should go for 'virtual drivers' but from there, I'm at a loss.

You folks have always come through for me -- I have no doubt that you'll do it again!! Thanks in advance...

Maggie

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Firewall problems, and that SAMBA may not be running on his machine. Linux has a learning edge, and not a simple beast to tame.

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

So the printer is attached to the xp box and shared to the linux box, or the other way around?

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Sounds like you need to either enable the guest account on the PC you want to print to, OR somehow get the Linux box to authenticate with the Windows machine. I don't have a lot of experience with KDE or Kubuntu, so I couldn't say exactly how you might do this.

5. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

You can enable the printer using CUPS.

The important question again is- Do you want to print to Linux printers from XP or use XP printers in Linux?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds