Trying to make an external hard drive work (USB)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rtminc, Sep 28, 2005.

1. rtminc

rtminc Private E-2

I bought an external HD enclosure thinking I could put a spare 2.5" Hitachi DK23AA drive into it and have a handy 12 GB USB doodad to play with. I have the jumper placed correctly (according to Hitachi) to make it a slave and I can even see it in the device manager but not in "My Computer"...there is no drive assignment being made.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas?

:rolleyes:

2. SoloTraveller

SoloTraveller Private First Class

If the device manager can see it, go into the Disk Manager (Computer Management, depending upon OS) and see if the drive is there (it probably won't have a drive letter assigned to it). If it is, right-click on the device and assign an unused drive letter to it. Should work from there... Can't give exact instructions without knowing which OS you're running.

3. rtminc

rtminc Private E-2

Sorry...its XP Home

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

In most cases I've seen / used the drive should be Master or Single (if the drive has that setting).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds