Trying to protect kids surfing the internet

Discussion in 'Software' started by drgnrider, Dec 2, 2006.

1. drgnrider

drgnrider Private E-2

I have checked the software downloads and searched the forums; I am looking for a software program that can help control where my kids go on the internet.

I have two kids, (ages 14 & 9), that have to search/access the internet to do homework and I don’t want them accessing the wrong sites nor do I want to have to stand over them to make sure they don’t get to the wrong sites.

I have had the Earthlink version, but it restricted the whole computer; had to edit each user profile, I would prefer to only have to edit the one(s) that it is installed on.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Using WIN-XP Pro & IE

Thanks

2. Gauge

Gauge Private E-2

I just read something yesterday about a Microsoft program that has been developed with the aid of the American Association of Pediatrics for protecting kids on the Internet. Might want to check that out.

Remember this, the best defense against things that your kids could be exposed to is you, the parent. Educate and inform your kids of the dangers of the Internet and teach them basic net safety. No software in the world will replace your guidance and genuine concern.

3. drgnrider

drgnrider Private E-2

Gauge,
    Thanks for the info. What you are referring to is an enhancement to Microsoft’s’ Windows Live (tm) service (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/mar06/03-13WLFamilySettingsPR.mspx). This sounds like you would have to use Windows Live as your internet portal & search engine… looking into it further (right now it’s not cooperating with me).

The best defense in knowledge… yes, but a 14-yr-old doesn’t always do as they are told, especially when they can do it anonymously.

huey,
    Checked out your link; researching this farther, too. This one sounds more like a program to go to for specific topics. This would help in going to the site you want when researching a topic.

4. Gauge

Gauge Private E-2

First of all I am shocked that a 14-year-old wouldn't do what they are told. I mean... I was a 14-year-old once and I did everything my parents wanted me to... may God strike me down if I am lying! (waiting for lightning bolts):eek:

The solution to your problem is a bit more complex then. If you are concerned about the ability of your kids to do things with anonymity and hide it from you, then visit the majorgeeks download site called "Covert Ops" I am sure you will find a tool or two there that could help you. Keyloggers and site recording is the only real way to police your kids. Of course, locking the computer down when you aren't around could be a decent idea too. With the keyloggers and Internet monitors you will have a way to track them. And, you could even tell them that you have placed the software on the PC so you can do random checks and that they had better not go against your wishes or you will know about it.

If you want a really extreme measure you can threaten your kids with having to watch 24 hours straight of the Teletubbies with no breaks... but that is inhuman and might get Child Services involved.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds