trying to put nvatabus.sys in system32\drivers folder through DOS

Discussion in 'Software' started by ellis1142, Mar 19, 2008.

1. ellis1142

ellis1142 Private E-2

Hello. I have stumbled upon a problem i cannot find a solution to. My computer will no longer boot to windows do to nvatabus.sys file missing in c:\windows\system32\drivers folder and the only way i can place it there is through dos. i boot my computer with a windows xp cd, press f6 to load the 3rd party raid driver, and go to the recovery console. i then select my instalation of windows on the C:\ drive and it asks for my admin password. all that works fine. took me about 3 hours to figure it all out because nothing on the net said i had to have the drivers on a floppy and load them with the cd. not even nvidias forums. the problem i cant figure out is that when i type copy a:\nvatabus.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers it says access denied. im not familiar with dos and i have searched and search for a solution to this. any help will be greatly appreciated. Thx everyone

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I think the recovery console 'protects' certain files/folders.... but I'm not sure about that. When I need to replace a system file, I boot to a BartsCD or the UBCD4Win (which is freekin' priceless!). Then I use one of the file explorers to browse to the required folder and replace whatever needs replacing. This same method is also handy for accessing password protected user folders (like "My Documents" on a locked account for example).
    Of course it's free, and it's right here at MG http://www.majorgeeks.com/UBCD4Win_d5710.html
    and here's the how-to-build guide http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm
    I suppose you could accomplish the same thing by booting to any 'live' CD like Knoppix... but IMO the UBCD4Win is indispensable when it comes to repairing Windows problems, especially if there's a startup/boot issue or a serious system file issue....
    Good luck!

3. ellis1142

ellis1142 Private E-2

Thx alot. That boot disk program is awesome. My computer is sitting there right now copying my 600g's of data off of the c: drive to my external. I was worried at first that it wouldn't recognize my c: drive because it is a 4 drive raid 0+1. I noticed that it gave the option to install the 3rd party drivers but it flashed so quick that I did not hit it quick enough the first time around. But oddly enough it didn't even need them. lol. I did put them on the second time around because I had to restart the system when it wouldnt recognize my external drive when I plugged it in. I only hooked that up because my onboard nic could not be found and I could not connect to my network.
    I still have a problem though. When I got to c:\windows it is not showing a system32 folder. I used the search tool and it wouldnt find it either. I made sure to show hidden and system files. I must have missed something along the way but I cant pin point it.

Thx

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I would say that something is seriously wrong with your Windows installation if you can't find the System32 folder. I have used the UBCD4Win almost daily for about 2 or 3 years and I've never had a problem finding the system32 folder. Viewing of all files and folders is enabled by default, and there's no way to change it (that I know of), so it's not that the folder is hidden. I think the folder is gone. That would explain the 'access is denied' messages you were getting in the recovery console; you can't access a folder if it isn't there. It looks like you're at least saving your data, so the next step would be to reload Windows. You can try a safe reload but since the system32 folder is apparently gone, if the repair completed I don't think any of your programs or settings would work anyway. Formatting and doing a fresh, clean install is probably the way to go. There is a chance that the system32 folder got renamed to something else by mistake, so searching for stuff that would usually be in the system32 folder might help. I've attached a screenshot of an XP Home system32 folder's partial contents; maybe you can use it for reference to compare to what's on your PC....
    Good luck!

Attached Files:

5. ellis1142

ellis1142 Private E-2

I get what you are saying. My windows is probably messed up beyond repair but the system 32 folder does exist. In dos i can copy files to the c:\windows and c:\windows\system32 but when i try the c:\windows\system32\drivers folder it says the file cannot be copied. and it is not the file that cannot be copied. i tried to copy many different files to that folder but they will not copy. but i can copy them to any other directory. so system32 will show in dos but not on the Ultimate Boot CD. pretty weird.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds