Trying to recover a deleted account~

Discussion in 'Software' started by ReiMirasaki, Mar 20, 2008.

1. ReiMirasaki

ReiMirasaki Private E-2

Here's the scenario folks:

~Used disk quota to minimize too much usage of the hard disk drive (my sister uses a LOT of the hard disk with her music, pictures, etc. that she doesn't browse after a week or so. >_<)

~I put up the limit to 20GB, and if there was anything exceeding it, the quota would deny adding data to that certain user.

~My sister, being not so techy as me, panicked and deleted her user account. BTW her account is a restricted one, meaning even me, an admin, can't view her files.

~Her files were transferred to my mom's account. Upon opening my mom's account, she did not find her account.

~I'm having trouble with my hard drive now because I have only 9GB left and that 20GB is bothering me.

How can I...
    ~restore my sister's account OR
    ~delete the 20BG waste of space >_<

Thankeees

2. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

what is your os (ie xp or what)? this is for xp (i'm not sure about the other os). typically, you can't delete your own acct. if she had a restricted acct, you shouldn't be able to do much. how did she go about doing it (ie - control panel --> user accts --> ? now, i take it she deleted her acct from your mom's acct (which is an admin as well)? if so, did she select, to save her files (it normally makes a folder, i think on the desktop)?

i take it her acct isn't listed in user accts in control panel? have you checked "C:\Documents and Settings"? g/l, sos

Attached Files:

3. ReiMirasaki

ReiMirasaki Private E-2

My OS is a Win XP Media Center Edition~

All the accounts on this PC are admins (mine, my sister's and my mom's). When she deleted her account, she used my mom's account to do so.

When she first created her account, I think she enabled the private account option, meaning she was still an admin but we (my mom and I) can't access her files from our accounts.

She did save her files on my mom's desktop. When we opened the folder supposedly containing the files, none were there.

I checked the C:/Documents and Settings folder. Her user account folder is there, but it says that access is denied. o_O

4. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

how much space is it taking up? try this link below (i've used it a few times).. g/l, sos

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech <-- How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

5. ReiMirasaki

ReiMirasaki Private E-2

The thing is, at the bottom it says - "applies to Windows XP Professional" and "applies to Windows XP Home Edition". I kinda stopped there. My OS is a Windows XP Media Center Edition. I'll try your suggestion but I don't know if it'll work.

Oh yeah, it takes up almost 20GB of space.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  6. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

it should work for all xp (xp mce included). - sos

7. ReiMirasaki

ReiMirasaki Private E-2

Wuhoo~!!! It worked! Thankees sos! :celebrate

8. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

lol, i'm glad you got it to work!! ;) - sos

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds