Trying to save an online Flash video

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Oct 9, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

There are several free apps that will allow the user to save videos from YouTube or GoogleVideo to the hard drive. These work great if you have the URL that goes directly to the video clip. I'm trying to save a video clip that I want to put on a CD and mail to a friend out of state who doesn't have internet access (actually he has no PC so I'd convert it to VCD or DVD). I do not have the URL that points directly to the video clip, and I can't seem to get the URL for the clip. When I click on the "share URL" I get a link to the page with the video clip on it, but not directly to the clip itself. Does this make sense? Anyway, when I plug this URL into the online-video-downloader type programs, I get the message "no video at that address" or something similar.

Any ideas?

THANKS!

(actually, there's several videos at The Smoking Gun that I'd like to be able to save and share. Here's a link to one of 'em:
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/tsgtv/index.html?id=TSGV1-04&link=TSGTVshlk
    I got that link buy using the "share URL" button at the web site in question)

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

You didn't say what browser but if it's FF then Download Helper is for you. It recognized the file and I was able to downloaded it. It is in flv format. BTW, I went to the posted URL first, the icon animated and clear sailing after that.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  3. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

right click the page and click view source. you will see something in the source code that looks like this:
    <embed src=":)" possibly some more code here>
    then your gonna copy the text where i put the smiley face.
    go to the url bar. delete the page but not the path. replace the page with the text you just copied.
    example:
    url http://website.com/assets/zdawg32/flash.aspx?file=11254
    source code:
    <embed src="11254.swf" quality="high" loop="false" menu="false" bgcolor="#000000" width="550" height="10" name="videobar" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
    copy 11254.swf. then, at the url, delete flash.aspx?file=11254 now paste the file name at the end. if it loads, that is the file

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:major :dood = Major Geeks ROCKS!!!

Two excellent answers! Thanks guys!

Augie: I tried using both FF and IE and couldn't get it, but I didn't even think of Download Helper. I've heard of it, but haven't really needed to use it until now. THANKS!

zDawg: I'm pretty sure that when I right click the page, View Source isn't an option. I think all that comes up is the Adobe Flash Player context menu, but I'll try it again. THANKS!

5. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Download Helper did the trick! Thanks augie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds