Trying to turn wife's Inspiron into a protected PC

Discussion in 'Software' started by Buckleyterp, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Buckleyterp

Buckleyterp Private First Class

...and I just segued over here from malware forum where I received great help to restore it to functionality.
    Now two problems remain in trying to increase speed by jettisoning bloatware, etc.
    1. ask toolbar updater will not uninstall, error message stating that I do not have administrative privileges to uninstall. This seems to be a know problem and seems to have something to do with a registry key pointing to the nonexistent program.
    2. I do not know which programs I can safely delete - they all sound important. So I installed 'ShouldIremoveit'. This program worked well on another win7 PC but when I try to run it on the Inspiron, it runs for about one second and then an error message pops up "ShouldIRemoveIt has stopped running".
    This problem PC is a Dell Inspiron running 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium.

My goal is to return the PC to my wife with increased speed and to create a non-administrative account for her to surf/shop that will not allow stealth downloads.
    BT

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. plodr

it posted twice - pretend this is not here. ;)

4. Buckleyterp

Great advice!

B

5. Buckleyterp

Making progress.
    There are many programs that I do not recall being useful but I am unsure about removing them.

Let's start just with Microsoft programs.
    There are 17 versions of Microsoft Visual C++. I know that various programs each install their needed version of VC and then run with it. How do I know which VC have not been running for a year or more?

In addition, there are the following:
    Microsoft Silverlight
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
    Windows Live Essential
    Microsoft Digital Image Pro 9
    Microsoft Works

Buckley

6. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Buckleyterp...

Not much help trimming your list of programs here, but maybe you could add a copy of Malwarebytes Anti-malware onto the PC. It can be downloaded at Major Geeks:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/malwarebytes_anti_malware.html

I put it on my mother's PC, and it adds some peace of mind. It's the best anti-malware scanner.

On your list of programs, I think these could be up for debate for removal especially (unless there is some compelling reason to keep them):

Windows Live Essentials-Big, clunky set of tools that I would never miss. Would be a good one to remove, unless your wife is planning to import her e-mail (not recommended (for security reasons) unless absolutely necessary).
    Microsoft Silverlight-I have been without this for some time and haven't missed it. The only time I am ever asked to install it is on a Microsoft site to see an MS help video. I just find help elsewhere, anymore.
    Microsoft Digital Image Pro 9-Need a good picture viewer, but Irfanview is small and light and probably a better choice.

The other two I would keep:

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile-This is just going to be more important with time. It's required for some programs already
    Microsoft Works-Light and clever package of office tools. Works is a good program to keep as a substitute for much heavier and elaborate document creation software. I personally like Works very much. That said, if the latest would be better, a copy of LibreOffice is very nice to have on a PC...

360 Total Security (anti-virus) has a shopping mode that works automatically. Maybe this would be the best a-v option for a PC for your wife. 360 TS is a newish anti-virus (internationally), but it has garnerned much praise in its short life, so to speak. There are some substantial reasons why it is turning heads a little bit.

I am sure plodr will have sage advice!

7. Buckleyterp

Dear AtlBo,
    I have mbam already; you are right it is golden.

Dear All,
    I uninstalled Microsoft Live Essentials, no problem.
    When I tried to uninstall Microsoft Digital Image Pro 9, I got the error message:
    "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if...(etc.)"
    Then I uninstalled MS Silverlight with no problem.
    What about all the Microsoft Visual C++ (17)?

B

8. AtlBo

Buckleyterp...

Did you by chance check in Add/Remove to make sure MS Digital Image Pro 9 is listed as on the PC there? Can't remember the source of this type of problem, but maybe the program is partially removed (the uninstaller missing?).

Here is MS's info on this problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2642495

Looks like all three of the fixes are a little bit challenging. Let us know if you need any assistance with these.

If the program doesn't show up in Add/Remove, also, please let us know.

9. plodr

I never touch any Visual C++.
    I have 10 versions and my computer was purchased in August 2013. They will all remain installed.

10. Buckleyterp

OK, now I really need help.
    I already ran into this Windows Installer problem when I was over in malware forum. I wanted to install 'ShouldIRemoveIt"? And chaslang stopped me - we weren't finished cleaning yet.
    But Windows installer wold not install 'ShouldIRemoveIt', giving me that error message. So I found my way to that bulletin you posted for me and tried method 1. I still have Msirepair.reg on my desktop - I cannot get a 'run as administrator' command by right clickling it and double clicking on it doesn't work either. Reg files are not properly associated on this computer, so please help me resolve this.
    buckley

11. AtlBo

Bucklyterp...

Hmmm...seems to be getting pretty serious

I'm kind of new to Windows 7, but it sounds like your file structure may have become corrupt. There is a utility built into Windows called sfc /scannow that is supposed to address this very type of issue, but it also requires an administrator command prompt. It also usually requires an installation disk for your version of Windows 7 (Home Premium).

Have you tried booting into safe mode? Maybe you will be able to install the registry fix there...

12. plodr

What is this and where to you download that registry file from?

13. AtlBo

14. plodr

15. Buckleyterp

I got two PUP alerts from Mbam and sent them to the malware forum. Chaslang thinks they are due to changes made for opening registry files. (Broken.OpenCommand - Registry Data ) This would explain my current problem. I did not intentionally screw around with the registry nohow.

My wife does not know where her startup disks are. Is there any way of putting this to rights?

B

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  16. AtlBo

17. plodr

No problem AtlBo. I get links turned around and post a link I didn't mean to and with a short edit time here, you just can't correct it. ;)

Trying to edit the registry with something that large would scare me. I'd probably use method 2 or 3.

Have you run this MS Fixit?
    http://support2.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  18. Buckleyterp

Dear Plodr,

This PC is so in need of help.

There is no problem downloading the Fixit link that you provided but when I right click to Run as Admin or when I double click, it runs for a few seconds, then I get "Windows Automated Troubleshooting Services Bootstrapp Has Stopped Working".

I'm lost.

buckleyterp

19. plodr

So am I because I have no idea what that message means.
    The only bootstrap I know is from DOS way before windows.

I'll search tomorrow and see if I can figure out what the computer is telling you.

That's why I make monthly images. If something goes wrong on one of our 4 main computers, I 'd simply restore the image stored on an external hard drive.

20. plodr

Well that was quick. I found 3 results aside from yours with that message where a fixit refused to work. No solutions. Sorry.

21. Buckleyterp

Hmmmm.
    Is there a Microsoft site where someone with a legitimately-installed Windows 7 that is significantly corrupted can order a free reinstall?

b

22. plodr

You can actually download a Win 7 with SP1 ISO, burn it to a disk and install, provided you have a legitimate Windows key.
    I did this. I had a boxed set of Win 7 DVDs from MS that did not include SP1. It installed fine but I could not get SP1 to install. After 5 - 7 days of trying lots of things and getting frustrated, I downloaded the ISO, burned it on another computer (Win 7 burns ISOs without any 3rd party program needing to be installed), used the key I had and I'm typing on that computer right now.

Link to download the ISO (just make sure you select the proper bitedness)
    Code:
    http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/page-2#post-12482
    Make sure you grab the non-MS drivers and save them to a USB stick or archive on a CD so you don't have to run around trying to find the correct drivers.

23. Buckleyterp

Thanks! I have a lot to do.
    Gotta get started...

B

24. Buckleyterp

So I am running around trying to find the correct drivers before reinstalling. It is like having the hangover before going out and binge drinking.

I went to drivers.com - even if I didn't buy/register it, it would scan my drivers (and tell me out of date ones), so I could locate them.

Well, it scanned 114 drivers, then that information disappeared and it left me with a list of 20 that needed updating - none of which I am interested in - and a link to register, of course.

So am left with the following question: there is a thicket of drivers of all sorts, how can I find them all so I do not leave an important one out? I can name only three apps that I associate with drivers, off the top of my (not to be trusted) head.

Buckley

If ignorance is bliss, then I am happiness incarnate.

25. AtlBo

Buckleyterp...

If you could post the make/model of the PC, chances are very good that someone could hunt down your drivers at your manufacturer's site.

Is that PC connected to the internet with an ethernet cable into the router or remotely via a wireless connection?

I wouldn't put my trust in those type of driver sites. There are better ways to find drivers. With Windows 7, you usually only need a networking driver to connect to the internet but then only if the PC is connecting via a wireless connection. Even in that situation, you can still move the PC near the router and connect directly to the router via ethernet cable. In this way, you can just install and then go on the internet get the drivers using that PC.

The reason this works is that the standard default drivers installed with Windows 7 are generally good enough to get you onto the internet (other than the wireless driver)...

26. Buckleyterp

This PC is a Dell Inspiron 1545.
    I walked down the list of Device Manager and the following items had 'driver' tabs when right clicked -> properties where the driver was MS:
    Hard Disk drive
    DVD drive
    Webcam
    PP/2 keyboard
    PnP monitor
    Pentium T4400
    IDT High-definition Audio CODEC
    And all of the items under "System Devices'
    ...am I safe in assuming that these will all be supplied and updated by MS during a reinstall?

These devices have drivers by cooperative partners with MS:
    Mobile Intel(R) 4 series express chipset family (Intel)
    Intel(R) GMA Driver for Mobile (intel)
    Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller (Intel)
    Dell Touchpad (Alps Electric Co.)
    Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card (Broadcom)
    Marvel Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (Marvel)
    I am less optimistic that these will automatically reinstall. But how to manually reinstall them?

The printer drivers I have to install, anyway.

PC is wireless-connected.

I cannot find a Windows 7 key with six groups of five characters.
    At most I have found a product ID of XXXXX-OEM-XXXXXXX-XXXXX

Buckley

27. plodr

Run double driver http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/double_driver.html
    and save everything it finds.

I've never used it. (My computers came with a program that allowed me to create a driver and program disk). There have been enough posts about it here that I think the program might be useful for saving your drivers and moving whatever is saved to a CD or USB stick or external hard drive.

28. Buckleyterp

I knew there had to be something like that! Thank you for that!

I ran the GUI version, not the console version.

I was surprised to find that the program selected by itself eight drivers' boxes to check (Wireless LAN; Ethernet controller;Touchpad;Audio Card;SATA Controller;and both Intel chpisets)...
    ...while leaving a boatload of other drivers unchecked (USB root hub; eight Intel USB universal host controllers;USB mass storage device;CD-ROM drive;PS/2 keyboard;PnP monitor;eight WAN miniports of varying addresses;MS ISATAP Adapter;Plug and Play enumerator;USB input device;and a host of others)

Should I be checking off some more drivers? Is this critical? I am not playing dumb, I just am.

buckley

29. AtlBo

Buckleyterp...

From what I understand, you should be able to find your Windows 7 key with Belarc Advisor. Here is a link here at MGs:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/belarc_advisor.html

You might want to retrieve the key and then call Microsoft to verify that it is the correct one for your PC (just to make sure the Belarc key is correct). I just reinstalled Windows 7 on my mother's PC, and I called MS before reinstalling to verify that the key on the side of the PC was the valid key for the PC. The support agent was very helpful.

Here is the number:

(800) 936-5700

You will have to answer a few questions from a machine to get to the keys department. Once there just tell them that you have a key (the Belarc one) for your wife's PC that you want to verify before the installation. They were able to verify the one on my mother's PC for me...

30. Buckleyterp

AtlBo: That is very helpful! Thanks!

plodr: What is your opinion of the unchecked drivers? Check the ones that sound important? Check 'em all - it won't matter in the long run? Don't check X, Y, Z (specifically)?

B

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  31. AtlBo

Buckleyterp...

Those left off of the recommendation list are the MS Windows 7 stock drivers that don't require updating. When you ran the Double Driver diagnostic, it was probably just looking for drivers that aren't just stock ones included with a fresh installation of Windows 7. The program is essentially saying that Windows will install the same drivers as the ones that weren't recommended for the backup. The others you will need...

32. Buckleyterp

Thanks, plodr!
    That was the reassurance that I needed.
    You know, I do read the txt files. Someone might want to put that explanation in there. It might cut down on back-and-forth posts to you.

Thanks again.

B

33. plodr

B, though I download from MajorGeeks, when possible, because I know the downloads are clean, I usually click the link aside of the Author so I can read more about the program.
    When I went to the author's page, then clicked on programs, then on Double driver, I ended up here http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm
    I like to see snaps of the program and also read any additional info.
    If that isn't enough, some sites have forums. This author does so I sometimes look around the forum and get additional info.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds