Trying to update husband's video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sykjycherie, May 26, 2012.

1. sykjycherie

sykjycherie Private E-2

My husband has a computer with the following Specs:
    AMD 6-Core FX-6100 processor

3.30GHz, 6MB L2 Cache

4GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory

500GB SATA hard drive

24x DVD+/-R/RW drive

AMD Radeon HD 6450 Graphics

With 1GB video memory, DVI, HDMI and VGA capabilities

I upgraded his video card to a XFX AMD Radeon HD 6770 Graphics Card . His power supply is 500W and I do not want to screw anything up. Should I have better power supply. If I need to get one I want to do it before he comes home from his trip. He wants to play Diablo which I also got him. Any insight is appreciated. I used the Newegg calculator and it said it was fine but I wanted an expert opinion. I want him to be happy about his present :drool.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  2. sykjycherie

sykjycherie Private E-2

I am not sure if this helps but it is a turbolink switching power supply. I am trying to read the computer parts. :confused

3. sykjycherie

sykjycherie Private E-2

nevermind I found solution. Thank you.

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Sorry I'm late.

A good PSU is the core of a stable system.

A quick search came up with a review from 2011 of the "450W" version:
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Apevia-Turbolink-ATX-TL450W-BK-Power-Supply-Review/1212/7

I'm not an expert when it comes to selecting good quality PSU's but I do have the older version of the HD6770 and I'd not buy anything less than a good 550W PSU for it, especially to match it up with a 6-core processor. You should really expect to spend around $100 after rebate to power a PC like this.

This is from a tier 1 PSU maker: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=on&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

This is from a lesser brand at about half the price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028

The % stats from the verified owners are a good indication of quality.

5. sykjycherie

sykjycherie Private E-2

I got this...hope this does the trick....PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 600W Modular 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

6. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I agree with Satrow and that PSU is ok it may have some noise in electricical transfer than some others that are more high end but it should suffice for your needs, I tend as Satrow mentions is to design a PC around the PSU and not the other way around as the PSU is the core of a PC, and to this end I at present have a Zalman 1000W Modular PSU that will cover all bases.

While you should have no issues in changing PSU do let us know if when installed this PSU if you have any issues in drivers as in yellow ! marks or Red X's in Device Manager.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds