Trying to use shared printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by franklyorange, Feb 22, 2008.

1. franklyorange

franklyorange Private E-2

I am on XP Home OS and the puter with the printer attached is on XP Home OS. And we are on a wireless peer to peer network.

The printer is marked shared. A laptop is able to use it.

I tried adding it by doing this:

In My Computer, My Network Places, Add a Printer:

1. I clicked the "Network Printer attached to another PC" radio button.

2. I clicked "Connect" Radio button and entered address:

\\192.168.1.123\hplaserj

I get this error msg: "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specific printer has left its connection to the server."

Please help....is my pathname wrong? Do I need to add the puter name (JANPC) The printer is on-line as it is being used by other person. The printer name is accurate. I checked the IP address myself. Also our workgroup name is all the SAME: MSHOME.

Thots, actions, words????? thx!!!

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Use the local printer option.

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Make sure that the printer drivers are installed on the client computer too.

4. franklyorange

franklyorange Private E-2

And it worked!!! I was going in circles trying to find a solution...somebody even suggested I uninstall the printer (another forum)...can u imagine?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds