Tune up my OS

Discussion in 'Software' started by jtone, Jun 28, 2005.

1. jtone

jtone Private E-2

Thanks to everyone who helped me solve my last issue. Here's the real reason I've been lurking at this site for quite a while:
    I built a machine that's P4 based, Prescott edition processor (2.8 Ghz), an ECS 865 motherboard w/socket 478 cooling fan, 512 MB RAM (I know, I know, I need a Gig of RAM!!), 800 Mhz FSB; 120 gig HD w/8MB cache, and a few peripherals. I used a Raidmax tower, and intend to add a second HD at some point.
    Programs: XP PRO, Office Small Business Edition and various others.

This machine, which I built at the end of August, ran great out of the box. Total boot up time, from dead screen to OS up and running, was around 40 secs. Now, it takes about 2-2 1/2 mins.

I have already done all of the steps in the "Read this before posting problems" thread. Many of the programs there, I have already been using. Over the last months, I have also purchased a few others; (Ghost Surf Platinum, Registry Mechanic) and have some freeware. I also use AVG, which honestly has worked better for me than Norton, McAffee and RAV.

For an accurate description of my prob, please see C Quirke's article at
    cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm and let me know what you think. I contacted ECS, and LeadComp (where I bought the machine) and they both say that my MB should work fine with SPII even with a BIOS rev. of zero. In fact, ECS claimed that I should not revise my BIOS unless SPII crashed my machine again.

Thoughts are appreciated.

2. catbro6166

catbro6166 Corporal

Just a thought have you tried changing the virtual ram size and running free ram xp pro it works great and also its free its located in this site under memory software also would suggest running defrags regularly and get adaware se persdonal its free and located here under ad ware do all that and updates to any un necessry programs you dont use junk files delete them and you should get a little more speed hope it all works out

3. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

Clean your unused file(temp file),
    Run Disk Deframenter
    Adjust virtual memories up to 1g5

There are some threads you should read.

4. jtone

jtone Private E-2

I have a memory optimizer program (forget which one), and I've been using AdAware since the day I built this machine. Ever since the SPII crash; my OS has been, to me, unstable. I frequently run defrags, trail "wipes"; spyware sweeps from three different programs, etc. In fact, I am still using SPI, because the last time I tried SPII it was a disaster. I am also painstakingly aware of the problems with cookies, Temporary Internet Files, .tmp files, etc all bogging down the 'puter, and I try to surf with cookies off most of the time, and I dump my temporary files after every time I surf. I also know that I could clean up a few processes, and I'd love to learn how to mess with my System32 folder (there's gotta be a ton of crap in there that I don't even want), but I'm afraid to get too deep until I'm sure that my OS is stable.

I suspect that I need to burn my docs/pics to disk, format my HD, and start from scratch, but I'd like a little advice first. Also, has anyone out there read the article I mentioned in the first thread of this post? Quirke claims that certain motherboards (including ECS) designed for the Prescott edition processor won't work properly with SPII, and that the BIOS needs to be updated.

ECS, the motherboard manufacturer, says that this is pure doo-doo. In fact, they e-mailed me right away (great tech support, those guys at ECS!!) and said that they have a number of P4 Prescotts running on their 865 boards which are using XP SPII, with no problems. They claim the crash was Microsloth's fault, not theirs, and that I should just re-download SPII and everything should work fine, and that the crash was, ironically, a "quirk". I asked them if there were compatibility issues with BIOS revisions and they kind of laughed at me. They said that I could revise my BIOS but they didn't recommend it, so apparently rev. 0 is just as good as rev. 8, which makes no sense to me. If a BIOS version is working perfectly, why was it revised 8 times??? Ostensibly, to resolve issues with compatibility, certain programs or OS's etc etc.

The article by Quirk is quite compelling, and very accurately described the precise problem that I had (basically, the OS would try to boot in "Safe" mode, and would "hang" at the end of the string of commands that follow the splash screen (I think the last file is something like AGP440 something or other) although Quirk doesn't describe it exactly as such, the symptoms are identical.

Here's my prob: do I follow what the motherboard manufacturer says, which is, don't revise my BIOS; just uninstall and reinstall XP, then SPII? Or do I do what Quirk suggests? Of course, Microsloth just directs me to the computer "manufacturer", LeadComp.com, who says the same thing as ECS.

So, Quirk says my problem is the BIOS on my MB; the MB manufacturer says the prob is with XP SPII, and Microsloth says "we don't actually support our software; contact the place where you bought the 'puter."

What do you all say??? Bag it all and start from scratch?? Or is there a way to get this girl running the way she used to??

Aside from my wife's hundreds of pics of our kid, we both use this machine for work, and have spent months getting everything set up just how we each like it. I realize that what has been done can be done again, but I'd really like to save this OS rather than try to re-load it, but I'm afraid to try SPII since I know that my OS still isn't working correctly.

Sorry about the babbling; hard to know what to include and what to exclude in these things.

jtone

5. catbro6166

catbro6166 Corporal

Ok update the bios restore the settings ang go through there website and any other software updates needed before sp2 install get those sp1 has so many bugs its not even funny but of course ecs will say its not there fault but you get used to it I msi myself but thats me try those also after update bios remember to restore bios settings to factory and save and exit.

6. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

Prescotts CPU is very hot so would you check CPU t* in bios-PC health
    Using winXp CD to repair it.
    I did not use ECS Mobo so in my opinion:
    100g HD in one it will make your computer boot lower than if you split them in to 3 HDs : 20g, 40g, 40g.
    the first one for boot the others for data ......
    DL PQ magic v8.02 run from dos split 100g HD into 3 HDs then restart and lo in windows copy all data like your family pictures to 40g HD then reinstall your windows SP2

7. jtone

jtone Private E-2

Not sure what temp. my processor should be-when I built the 'puter, I installed a socket 478 fan on the MB, and I also have 3 case fans. PC health says it's running at 131 degs F, but it's also hot here-around 90 degs. in the house. Too hot, too cold, or just right? I have a RaidMax tower and room for more fans if I need (I have one up front for the HD, and the others in the back for the MB/Processor.)
    Had problems in the past trying to flash update my BIOS-I think WinFlash got f'd up when my machine crashed, but I'll figure that one out.
    I've also thought about splitting the HD, but I was afraid to try it until I was sure my OS was ok, but I've burned all of our docs and pics to disk so I'm not so afraid of another crash. Guess I'll follow your advice and do that first.
    I'll check the other threads you guys listed also.
    I'm pretty busy during the week-may take a day or two to get back, but I always appreciate the help.

8. jtone

jtone Private E-2

Thanks to A.Son and Catbro for the advice.

I can't seem to get my BIOS to update.....the programs are written in binary code, and are supposed to use WinFlash to update. If I try to open the executable file provided in the download, that one won't work either. My mob is an ECS 865 with rev. 0 BIOS.

For your edification: There are two app files; 845pea_10C (.bin) and awd830.exe

Any suggestions on getting my BIOS updated to the latest revision are greatly appreciated-the ECS site is pretty vague, at least to an idiot like me.

Once I get that squared away, I'll make the virtual mem and HD changes you guys suggested, before I install SPII.

9. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

10. jtone

jtone Private E-2

Thanks again A.Son.....
    I've got an e-mail off to ECS-their support department is great. They're going to mail me the BIOS update and a link to d/l the installer program. After that, I'll do what you've suggested with splitting the HD and we'll see what happens after that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds