turbotax problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by the_artz19, Jan 25, 2010.

1. the_artz19

the_artz19 Private First Class

not sure this is the best problem for a software area...but i figured i would ask in the off chance some one knew, or could give me the likely "you're over thinking it you don't need that" answer.

anyway, using turbotax home and business 2009 and i am doing fine with it for the most part. i am just now recalling that at the start it asked if i wanted to import last years turbotax file. i didn't recall were or if i had it, and of course only found it today.
    since i have gotten through all of the federal part thus far, if i really even needed to import last years file or not... apparently only turbotax's of 2008 and earlier were able to import it, and even then may have wiped clean all your information in doing so.

so i am just wondering if anyone knows more about this area of the program, and/or if it is even necessary to be thinking about importing last years files. since it said there were no errors when it did its check at the end of the federal section.

thanks for any help.

2. mdietz39

mdietz39 Private First Class

There are two main advantages from importing last year's info. The first is all your demographic info (name, soc sec, dependents, etc) is filled in for you automatically. Second is last years entries (w-2, investments, etc.) is used as a guide to ask if you have the same items this year which is a big help, especially on deductions. A third could possibly be you will be able to compare this year to last year. If you have already completed the form I would not worry about importing from last year.

3. the_artz19

yea, i figured at this point i would have just been overthinking it. but if it somehow gave some comparison or something for more money why not. but i guess it isn't really likely.

the only thing i didn't really completely get, is if my w-2 sited that i gave to charity(united way)... but turbotax didn't recognize it, was just wondering if i need to site it later on in the federal section. because i didn't see if they just added that in because my w-2 said i did, or if i needed to find out exactly which united way it was, its code, address etc. although the IRS site that turbotax led me too didn't really show any codes or anything for any of the united way's i saw.

probably something else not too important, but just as the last question figured i would throw it out there.

and thanks for the response.

4. mdietz39

mdietz39 Private First Class

If you are using the free version of TurboTax I know nothing about it. I do know in the purchased version you enter your contributions when you are listing the deductions. About all you have to do there is just list the charity, the amount, and approximate dates. No big deal. Since I am retired I do not get a w-2.

5. the_artz19

well i may just leave it as is, or perhaps try and ask for the information at work(although those i would have to ask are impossibly incompetent).
    since under the section it asked for charities, it was asking for the name, address and a code i believe. all those parts had the red requirement asterisk by it.
    only gave like 26 dollars for the year, doubt it matters.
    anywho, thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds