Turn off mouse gesture to hover

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by loninappleton, Nov 14, 2012.

1. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

My operating system is Win XP.

My search for an answer for a mouse gesture problem had no success. I simply want the balloons that appear when activated by a mouse hover to be turned off.

I have looked in the mouse section of folder options and the accessibility section of control panel and see nothing that works.

This happens at system level on the desktop and within programs. Since I have used XP for so long I do not really get why I am noticing it more and especially within certain programs.

This question might an oldie but a goodie but I'm stumped.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

Yes. It's a good description but does not say how to get rid of the effect which is even on the desktop. Not really "tool tips" either-- just annoying and distracting text. Those little boxes that pop up to tell you what you are already looking at. In one program I use those cover up the text I'm looking at.

I've read on this that Win7 and up have hovering that actually mistakenly starts programs with an activation. One poor soul reported the hovering mouse "bought" an online item for him he didn't want. Good grief.

4. plodr

You can disable in the notification area following the instructions on the MS page I linked to.
    TweakUI http://majorgeeks.com/Tweak_UI_d226.html
    When installed it will be listed in Programs as PowerToys for XP, I think.
    Click on: Taskbar and Start Menu
    clear the check from enable baloon tips and click apply before closing the box.

Please note that this only works for programs that support windows themes so there is no guarantee that all mouseovers will disappear.
    Hovering a mouse does NOT buy items.
    First, the person had to have a browser open. Turning off in a browser is not the same as turning off in Windows. Disable javascript (install noscript in FF) and you will not get popups.

5. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

I have Flashblock on here for Firefox.

File hippo shows a Tweak UI version 2.x. I will look at that but the Tweak UI link you show in Major geeks shows the project as abandoned. That might be irrelevant.

I'll see if the Tweak UI can get this solved.

6. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

The Tweak UI did absolutely nothing. Balloon box was unchecked.

I'm going to see what the other version does.

7. plodr

Flashblock blocks flash.
    Noscript block Javascript. They are two different things.
    The popups on mouseover are javascript based so blocking flash won't have any affect in the browser.

I found this for Windows Explorer:
    Open My Computer, Click on Tools > Folder Options > View.
    Scroll to the bottom of the list and uncheck the box that says:
    "Show popup description for folder and desktop items."

8. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

Boy Howdy, that sounds like the magic bullet. :)

I'll give it a try and report back.

9. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

Nope no change. Which prompts the question what are those checking unchecking settings for if not this? I have refrained from using an expletive about this.

But I appreciate your efforts in looking up things I would never think of.

10. plodr

Truthfully, windows does what it wants.

Today my tray icons started disappearing. I checked the properties and I have not selected Hide Inactive Icons. I don't have a clue what is going on. I scanned and I'm clean.

11. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

For the tray I'd try a System Restore. That technique has become my friend over time.

12. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I know what you mean it's windows feature but I also don't know the name of the feature, 'file name preview'? I think this feature was new to XP or part of an XP theme though so try setting the theme to classic.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294309

IMO the file title preview is a little slow in all copies of windows but I've never looked into it.

13. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

I have always used the classic theme. Sometimes on a restore it will revert to the new and improved (too bright and color saturated for me) XP look but I always take it off. However might there be something in that display setup that would help?

14. Rikky

I was aiming to disable most of visual effects so if that doesn't work you can disable all of them by selecting 'adjust my computer for best performance.'

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...s/display_change_visual_effects.mspx?mfr=true

15. Rikky

Had some Googling time-

Go to control panel,Folder options,click the view tab,uncheck 'show pop up description for folders and desktop items.'

:)

16. Rikky

lol plods already done it sorry.

I tested this in my windows 7 64bit and it worked perfectly.

One thing to note is this won't work in your internet browser only windows explorer,it also won't work inside the menu systm of other programs.

What Plod posted is definitely the setting that alters that effect in windows though.

17. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

I looked through that and thanks for the effort. But I see nothing that says turn off what I want to turn off and even that: balloons, notifications or whatever is in the cryptic language. More than that I don't understand why this question has never been asked at google or elsewhere. It's intrusive. It needs to be turned off. But there may be no way to do it since we have looked under a lot of M$ rocks already: accessibility, even, for crying out loud.

I will look at it once more but I did not see a 'turn everything off'" command.

18. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

I turned everything off-- unchecked everything. No change.

19. Rikky

Maybe it would be helpful if you could take a screenshot so we know we're talking about the same thing? Hit print screen,open paint and paste.

The guide that plod and I posted below disables the effect in my attachment,I've just re enabled it to take the screenshot.
    If your not finding a menu,setting or option could you elaborate? Also once this option has been changed click 'apply' then click 'ok', mine didn't change by only hitting apply.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  20. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

I'm tired and frustrated. Somebody else has to say this works for them and then give the steps.

I have just repeated what you say works and, hit ok and.... no change.

I will check back tomorrow.

21. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

http://malektips.com/xpwex0039.html

Well here it is again (link above) which shows the procedure you mention. And as I did -- and selected ok after the the apply was clearly greyed out.

The operation simply does not do on my XP what others verify it has done.

An unsolved mystery which so far as I can tell is not repairable.

22. Rikky

I'm not sure what's going wrong but definitely make sure your account has full administrator privileges.

Here's a guide to change that-

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001097.htm

All these settings can be modified through the registry if the GUI settings are proving fruitless, here's a guide to change the setting via the registry, make a restore point before making any changes and take your time.

http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/963/

If neither of these two options work there's obviously something different about your windows install from stock that I can't put my finger on. Your frustration is warranted because this should be an extremely simple fix.

23. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

I made a screen shot of what it shows in that area of admin. I have only ever been the administrator on my home rig(s).

note: I attempted to send a screen shot with jpg extension and your attachments management said wrong file extension. In any case it shows me as administrator.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds