Turning Off Auto Complete

Discussion in 'Software' started by dsbnh, May 20, 2004.

1. dsbnh

dsbnh Private E-2

I keep getting asked if I want to turn 'on' auto complete everynow and then, yet even when I go to completely turn it off in the Tools, Internet Options Menu it will keep asking. How can I stop it from doing this?

2. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Do you remember to hit " apply "after unchecking :) :cool:

3. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Are you trying to help or trying to insult?

dsbnh, try clearing your AutoComplete history (Clear Forms, Clear Passwords) and see if that takes care of it.

4. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Not insulting anybody never would. :cool:

5. dsbnh

dsbnh Private E-2

Already tried that but nothing much, continues to pop up at times.

I am sorry, this is a software help forum, next time you feel like trolling to get your kicks, why not do it elsewhere instead of wasting time? Things like that are just idiotic.. (If that sounds harsh, now you now I took it, thanks). Very cool indeed...

6. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

I just want to point out that sometimes it really is the obvious thing that we forget to do. I've forgotten to hit "apply" in Windows, and I've also forgotten to hit "submit reply" on Major Geeks. I don't know anyone very well in this particular thread, but I don't think we should be insulted when someone asks an obvious question. What can be obvious to one person may slip by another. As an example, it may be obvious to me to run Ad-Aware and make sure my system is maintained before I go looking for other problems, but that's only me. I've been learning about these things for only 2 years now, but already it's become second nature to scan for spyware and do some of those "obvious" things before trying other things. But to someone else, they may not even know what spyware is!

Anyway, just wanted to make peace. It seemed to me that jujet84 was trying to be helpful is all.

Forgive me if I'm out of line here. Peace, all! :)

Eric

7. dsbnh

dsbnh Private E-2

I am used to dealing with trolls, so for me it just seemed largely to be that. But whatever the case, I'd rather just move on and unto the subject anyways, thanks for the reply.

8. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Found this on another site, don't know if it applies:

9. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

That's what I was going to suggest, too. It might be in Windows XP PowerToys, too.

As for the "did you hit 'apply'", the thing is, there's been numerous cases where software has had bugs that caused settings not to be saved if you just hit "OK". It is therefore recommended practice to always hit "Apply" before you hit "OK".

10. dsbnh

dsbnh Private E-2

Yeah, I guess that wasn't trolling after all... *sarcasm*

Thanks to all the ones who actually had something useful to say, I am not running Powertoys. Considering the way this thread has gone (quote above for example) I am guessing I better look into this issue elsewhere. Thanks for the help to those that did.

11. dsbnh

dsbnh Private E-2

Oh and by the way, all services that generally have to do with that are disabled on this profile, which is what made me wonder about the prompt popping up.

12. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

dsbnh,
    I'm not sure who Risus is, but he's not a good example of the friendly helpful folk here. I'm really sorry about his comment, as you can see, the mods deleted it. Anyway, alanc, and many others here will offer lots of help (I try to help, but I mostly just break things!! :) so don't give up on us yet!
    Take care,
    Eric

13. dsbnh

dsbnh Private E-2

Oh yes this is a great community, I don't plan on leaving or anything since I love the chance to give and recieve help here. But I think it may be something else so I am tempted to try another forum to see if they've heard of it. Seems like a strange case of the program remembering the settings but still keeping them active somehow, very weird. But thank you for everything, I love these forums as well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds