turning off just about instantly after..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phalxor, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Phalxor

Phalxor Private E-2

pressing the power button

so I searched and couldn't find anything on the site. Google told me to disconnect ide cables from mobo and try just video memory hdd, no good. stripped everything such as video, memory and disconnected all power and data connections, changed the mobo battery. same symptoms no matter what.

to be specific I press the power button and the power light stays on for half a second, probably less and the power goes off.

other things I've tried. plugging it into the wall. using different power strips and power cords

stuff I could try. someone on some forum said hold down the cpu fan to the heatsink without breaking anything but I don't think this has anything to do with heat, temps were never more than 50°C at load and the last thing I did on the computer was web browsing, ventrilo and then I shut it down and went to sleep. but really the next step is to take the psu out of the computer and try and boot another computer with it or vice versa.

mobo light is on, dunno if that means a whole lot but besides mobo or psu failure I am sort of clueless. thanks for reading and sorry for the disorganization

2. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Phalxor,

That's a standard configurable function for the Power Key. Lot's of OS's default to it when installed. It can be set to your likeing in Control Panel, Power Options. It's handier than haveing to go through the Shut Down procedure.

Good Luck, Jim

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

This reads like it's a BIOS setting; common choices are Instant off, press and hold button for 4 or 10 seconds.

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

If i am reading this right, it used to boot but now it dosn't any more??
    This has all the signs of a defunct power supply.
    As you have already suggested the best option is to try another.

If the PSU is OK it could be that the Mobo is shorting out on the chassis so just check the standoffs are all ok.

5. Phalxor

Phalxor Private E-2

firstly thank you for your quick responses
    and.
    yeah.. sorry for not being really clear or organized in my thought process but yes. everything was normal, I shut the computer down and now it will not boot but instead produces the previously described symptoms, one thing I forgot to mention is that while the mobo never loses power(green light on the whole time) I am basically "locked out" from attempting to start the computer again(after the initial split second of power) with the power switch(no power for a split second, no nothing) until I flick the PSU switch off in the back and then on again. I am super bummed because I bought a corsair PSU thinking I had a lifer, I have never had any luck with any PSU except for a couple old school ones, super no name brand.

Basically BILLMCC66 is on the money and I will report back with further information after I conclude if it is the PSU or not. If you guys had any recommends on solid PSU's to get I would appreciate it, if not just a link to the proper information. Otherwise I am probably going to get the exact same PSU but the new edition

OLD - currently owned
    [​IMG]

NEW - will buy because I am a clueless Rtard
    [​IMG]

6. Phalxor

Phalxor Private E-2

k sorry for wasting your time I suppose, I wanted to hit it from all angles in case the PSU was fine. turns out it isn't. heres where I am at currently. I plugged in a total of 7 case fans, not at the same time of course. I plugged in the last two about 6 days ago, both I have used in the past without issue. I successfully used the computer for the remaining 5 or whatever days until after shutting down the last night the PSU ceased to exist, I guess it was it's time? I don't want to believe that my ATI 6850, 3 HDD's, DVDRW and 7 case fans + cpu cooling fan stock was enough to slowly kill my PSU over the course of 6 days. So I suppose my question is, there such a thing as a "killer" fan or component, be it working or not? I would ask if I over did it on the power but not knowing all the stats on the fans / whatever else, I wouldn't want you to speculate

So any reccomends on a PSU brand or specific model? and yes I know 7 fans is probably overkill and more than likely contributing more heat than distributing, I ran this setup, given, not on the same computer at all but on a msi 865 neo2pe + p4HT / 2gb ddr1 / x800 agp with a 450 watt PSU, no problemo. So like I was mentioning before I don't wanna believe a highly rated brand + higher rated amp/watt's would fail, unless I just got unlucky of course.

so, sorry again, best forum ever
    ~phalxor

7. Phalxor

Phalxor Private E-2

Update(was an edit but I took too long) : I had the gun loaded on this cheap PSU and decided to wait a moment for some suggestion. I also just now finished following up on the 5 year warranty I wasn't so sure about on my PSU. I am not depending on that though and still plan on purchasing the above linked cheap PSU.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds