Turning off Popup blocker

Discussion in 'Software' started by trowter, Nov 12, 2004.

1. trowter

trowter Private First Class

Hi there:
    I was installing McAfee Internet Suite last night, and it said I needed to turn off my popup blocker. I thought I did everything...I disabled it thru the security portion of inetcpl.cpl and I disabled it thru google, but I still had an awful time, getting some of the McAfee to load I held down the control button while starting the program, but that only overrode the problem,it didn't fix it...What have I missed? I talked to the McAfee tech support last night, and they mentioned a conflict with the Norton that I tried (I EMPHASIZE TRIED.) to uninstall. I am running Windows XP home SP2.
    My concern is that now I may have problems running the automatic updates.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I guess the question that comes to mind for me is what problems are you having now? I get similar message from similar situations and often it can be ignored once never to bother again. Frankly, if Mcaffe can not make their product work properly with other well known tools, I would return it, this is inexcuseable. I am also not a fan of most all-in-one security tools, typically picking individual tools works better. You can find plenty of free comparable tools like Zone Alarm for a firewall or Avast or AVG for antivirus. SP2 has popup blocking, I wish these silly tools would start detecting the installation of SP2. Does Mcaffee have antivirus, if it does, and your running Norton's AV, thats a problem, you cant run 2 anti-viruses side by side easily.

3. trowter

Thanks for your reply...The computer seems fine right now...We won't know if there will be more problems until the automatic updates try and work. So I will take your advice and leave well enough alone, and hope that the problem never comes up again...In the meantime, If I try to do manual updates, I will use the override. Also, Firefox seemed a little more agreeable than IE, so maybe I will try and use that.
    As for the McAfee Antivirus, I have tried to get as much of Norton out as I can, so it seems to be working, time will tell. I understand trying to rid the computer of Norton is quite a task, so I don't know exactly how much is left.
    I couldn't find how to remove it completely on the Norton site, so if anyone has a link, then I would appreciate them passing it on to me. It's probably Norton Internet Security 2004. It was the trial version that came with the computer from Dell in August.
    Again, thank you so much for your advice

4. Sgtmackenzie

Sgtmackenzie Private E-2

Had you turned off the default ON pop-up blocker that is now built into Internet Explorer with the introduction of XP SP2? Tools --> Popup Blocker --> Turn off Popup blocker. This may be common knowledge, just thought I'd throw it out there, Thanks!

5. trowter

Yes, I did try that too...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds