tv audio to surround sound pc speakers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silverbullet, Sep 30, 2009.

1. silverbullet

silverbullet Private First Class

I own a set of Logitech 5.1 surround sound speakers which connect to my pc through a sound card... I have my xbox 360 connected to my 32" samsung series 4 (i think) tv via a HDMI cable. I would like to know if it is possible, and if so how, to connect my surround sound speakers to my tv, im not sure on all the cable names so you will have to forgive me.

the cables coming from my subwoofer that go to my pc are the 3 standard 5.1 cables, and on the tv are the standard red and white ports.. there are no aditional or spare cable ports on the subwoofer. :confused

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Not sure if I got you, but odds are the speakers came with standard colored wires you need to hook up. Also, possible Fiber is supported, so the question is rather simple... How many ways can you hook up the speakers? (fiber, cable) and what does the TV or sound card support. Sounds like you need to know this, then purchase the correct cables. If there is no way to hook the speakers to your TV as is, then the short answer is no :(

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

You need to look at the speaker system and see what inputs they take, then look at your TV and see what "line out" outputs it supports.

Unfortunately, the "standard" for sound card color coding is only recommended. And while most card and motherboard makers follow it, some don't - you need to be certain for sure by studying your card and speaker manuals.

Note that if you are using a cable box to provide the signal to the TV, many cable boxes have audio-out too - so check there for additional options.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds