Tweak Tool Eliminated My CD/DVD Drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by melm, Sep 22, 2011.

1. melm

melm Private First Class

I used the recommended tweak tool on my HP with Windows 7 and it eliminated my the CD/DVD drive from the system. It is still there under the Bios. I also lost a few main drivers.

I have tried all the usual fixes and even used the Mr. Fix It online, out of despair. I would just like to boot from my Windows 7 disc but the software doesn't recognize the drive. When I restart the computer is there a specific f-key to just boot from the CD drive ? I have tried system restore, etc. No use.
    I would just like to reinstall the software and start over, but can't get the computer to just boot from the drive, which is working.

2. ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft Private E-2

1. Are you able to load the Windows 7 OS (assuming it is installed) from your HDD?

If yes, start up Windows and look here.

2. If not, restart your PC, bring up the BIOS and change the boot sequence order to have the CD/DVD drive first on the list.

3. melm

melm Private First Class

Thanks for your response. I have tried both of those, but it seems the registry got corrupted. There is no CD/DVD drive listed under the device manager, so I can't even update the driver.

The CD/DVD drive is there under Bios and the hardware check passed. This is definitely a sticky problem. If I could just get it to recognize the disc I could reinstall the software. Lol

4. Jeanjaz

Jeanjaz Private E-2

I may not know what I'm talking about Melm, but it seems to me if you can see your drive in BIOS, you can set BIOS to boot from it. You don't set that inside you Win 7 device manager, you have to set that in BIOS before your win 7 loads.

I know that might have been what you meant, but I thought I would give it a shot just in case it helped.

Feel for you. Hate problems like that.

5. melm

melm Private First Class

Thanks, I did try that in the BIOS. It didn't want to boot from it.
    I thought it was the tweak tool that did the damage, but I have been searching online for answers and I found a number of people with the same problem after the last few microsoft updates. Mainly with windows 7, but also with vista.
    What gets me is I bought the software this year, but the microsoft support site wants to charge to give out any help.

I will keep searching. Of course I was planning on buying a new laptop in the next two weeks ! Lol

6. Jeanjaz

Jeanjaz Private E-2

I used to work with Microsoft's customer Support in 1987 when I had MS Word 2.0 and an HP Laserjet II :) I was creating downloadable font files to send to my printer instead of using the cartridges. It was fun to talk to their support staff then and then see suggestions incorporated in the next release. They're a WHOLE different company now. I would really like to switch to Linux, but believe it or not I just can't seem to 'get it'. I never thot it would happen to ME - get to old to learn something new. :( I thought Linux would be easy for me since I used to work directly with DOS and made exe's with it, and before that CP/M. :confused

Well, have fun with your new laptop. I hope my HP laptop with Vista doesn't succumb to the same problem.

~ Jeanjaz

7. melm

melm Private First Class

Update:

Managed to get back into the System Recovery Options Panel. Let run the start up repair again, and got the same message that it could not be repaired. Just for fun, when it asked to do a System Restore (again) I hit the yes. It managed to get past the initialization phase and into the "restoring files" phase. It has been "restoring" the computer for about 40 minutes. I'm not holding my breathe.

Definitely buying a new laptop this next week. :-D

8. Ian Hutchinson

Ian Hutchinson Private E-2

I used ASC toolbox to fix mine got to repair>winfix>advanced fix>system>cd drive or DVD drive is missing or not recognized by windows or other programs

9. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Which tweak tool?

A restore probably was not needed but most likely will work. Usually this a registry problem.

The below has worked for me on several occasions when the CD/DVD drive does not show up in Windows but you are able to boot from CD/DVD and see it showing in BIOS.

[​IMG] Open Notepad and copy everything in the code box below into it.
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "Class"="CDROM"
    @="DVD/CD-ROM drives"
    "EnumPropPages32"="MmSys.Cpl,MediaPropPageProvider"
    "Installer32"="storprop.dll,DvdClassInstaller"
    "SilentInstall"="1"
    "NoInstallClass"="1"
    "TroubleShooter-0"="hcp://help/tshoot/tsdrive.htm"
    "Icon"="-51"
    "LowerFilters"=-
    "UpperFilters"=-
    • File -> Save As -> Save as type: "All Files" -> File Name: fixme.reg > Save.
    Now merge this into the registry by double-clicking it.
    Let me know if the merge was successful or not.
    You must then reboot for changes to take effect.

10. melm

melm Private First Class

Thanks for the response. I will give it a try and let you know how it goes.
    :wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds