Two Bad Usp Possibly Make One Good?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spirittoo, Apr 17, 2016.

1. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

I have two cyberpower 725SL UPS ... with one the charging circuit is bad, and it will shut off on occasions. The other keeps going on and off continually when I press the power button on. I bought the one that turns on and off used from ebay and when I got it that is what it did. Can I use one to fix the other? Which issue would be the easiest to address?o_O

Thanks for reading my post.:)

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Both symptoms could be caused by bad batteries. Note SLA (sealed lead-acid) batteries only last for 3 - 4 years (if they don't fail prematurely - and that happens) and must regularly be replaced. So the first thing I would do is buy a new set of batteries, then see what happens. Note you don't have to buy replacements from the UPS maker. In fact, I NEVER do as they tend to be WAY overpriced. I buy on-line. Shop around and compare prices as there are several sites and they frequently have sales. Be sure to factor in shipping. Some will advertise a great sale price, then charge a bundle for shipping. Other sites will charge more for the battery, but offer free shipping. Then next week, the deals all change again. I often buy my UPS batteries from Battery Mart but have also bought from Amazon and Apex Battery.

Note it appears your UPS use 12V 7.5Ah. The 12V is critical. You can buy batteries with a high amphour (Ah) rating, as long as the physical dimensions of the battery (and terminals) are the same.

I am finding different terminal sizes however. So you need to measure the terminals. They are designated as F1 or F2. F1 terminals are .187 inch wide and F2 terminals are .25 inch wide. Most UPS batteries use F2 terminals but I have seen F1 used too.

For example, Amazon shows F1. Battery Sharks shows F2. So measure before buying.

Adapters are available, but the battery compartments in many UPS don't have the space for adapters and batteries too.

Most BestBuy stores will take the old SLA batteries in for recycling. Don't let them go in the trash as they will end up in landfills - not good.

As far as using one UPS to fix the other, no way to tell without knowing exactly what component has failed in each UPS.

3. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

I should have mention that the first one with the recharging issue has a new battery. Battery is not the issue with that. I will see if that other will work if I put in the new battery in it.

4. Digerati

Also note that some UPS will refuse to power on if it senses the facility wiring is faulty - for example, a missing ground or reversed polarity.

Imandy Mann likes this.
  5. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Okay I'm back on this project ... there shouldn't be any faulty wiring issues because it worked before. I'm wondering if I can replace the recharging circuit with the UPS that turns on and off, or can I use something in the one that won't recharge to fix the on off issue? o_O

6. Digerati

What happened with that?

7. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Wellsir ... I forgot about checking the battery ... I saw info that stated when the UPS turns on and off the battery needs to be replace. I put in the new battery I got in the unit I bought from ebay and that did the trick. There was a crack on the side of the old battery. Problem solved ... thank for posting. :D

8. Digerati

Great! Thanks for posting your followup.

BTW, be careful of that crack. Those type batteries are called Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) batteries because they contain an electrolyte solution of 35% sulfuric acid and 65% water. It is very corrosive, including to skin and eyes. And of course, lead can be very hazardous too. Note that many electronics stores (including Best Buy) will recycle them for free to keep these hazardous materials out of our landfills. If you don't have a Best Buy in your area, call around to battery shops or electronic repair facilities. Note most recycle centers will also take your old Lithium-Ion batteries too - including CR2032 CMOS batteries.

Eldon likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds