Two download Questions Please?

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Dec 6, 2008.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Ok, I downloaded "Image Resizer" (out of PowerToys for XP), and I can't seem to find it now on this PC (but then, I can't find about HALF of the stuff on my PC's) ... can anyone provide me a "clue" as to HOW (where) I might access (find) this program in this PC?

And, whilst looking to create more carnage (as if one download at a time wasn't MORE than enough for me to handle), I found something under the Files section>Security, called; "Safe XP" (1.5.7.14 - Theorica Software). It seems a bit dated (July 2005), and I'm wondering if anyone has used it, is using it, or has any opinions on it (?) - BEFORE I go to the trouble (and it's usually trouble, for me) of downloading it.

Thanks,
    g ...

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

The image resizer powertoy should have added a 'resize image' option to the right-click contest menu.

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Yes, that is where I looked for it first, but it's not there.

Ok, this just occurred to me: Will it only work on images that are downloaded ("saved") on the PC? Or should it work for any/all images, such as if I click on an Avatar from this webpage for instance?

Thanks for the reply ...

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

It should say "conteXt"... in other words, 'resize image' will now be in the right-click menu when you click on a graphic image file.
    .... and for SafeXP:
    Taken from this link: http://majorgeeks.com/Safe_XP_d4070.html

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Ok, and thanks to you also, but for some reason, it's not in the right-click menu though I do see the program on the system, so the download did "take".

And as a follow-up question on Safe-XP (and here we go with Glenn's inability to fully grasp "virtual" "stuff"): It comes as a compressed file ("Zipped" - correct), and well, to this very day, I seem to have a lot of trouble working with these and, am sure that I do not understand them. I asked about them once before in the forum but received no replies.

My "understanding" is, that because they are compressed, they take up less space, but are there any other reasons for them (as opposed to normal/regular downloads)? And when they come, they always seem to "want" to "Save to disk" (by default), rather than just "Open" (which I "think" is what I'd prefer to do). Or is this more to do with my just not knowing how to work with downloads?

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You download zip files because you can't open them. Zip files need to be unzipped before anything can be done with them.

7. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Zip files are the original file compressed to make for an easier and faster download but before you can use them they need to be unzipped which means they have to be saved and then run.

8. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

BEAUTIFUL - Thank you BOTH!!! This make much better sense now. And though I may have "learned" this (once before) years ago, I just haven't had the steady, in-depth ("formal") type of exposure and education to all things "techie" that I would have liked.

Thanks again - "Life" is better now!

I think I'll go-ahead and give Safe-XP a whirl, but am still stumped as to why Image Resizer (which did not present as a Zip file) is not working? Hmmmmm .... ?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  9. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

[​IMG]
    You don't just run the image resizer. It's integrated into the Explorer shell. Right click on a picture and in the context menu and select 'resize image', just like in the picture above.

10. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thanks, but yes, that's what I've attempted to do (right-clicking on different images - a number of times now).

If I had ever figured-out how to take a screen shot such as yours (and Halo, here, sent me a guide) I would send it, but I still haven't gotten the screen shot deal down ... yet.

Though the program itself is on the PC ... in the system, it just simply doesn't show in my right-click context menu.

11. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Did you install it?

12. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Yes. And my indication that it was "successful" is that, when I "RE-install" (or now even "attempt" to reinstall), it goes from the set-up screen to the: "Modify/Remove" (?) screen.

And I've tried Modifying ... perhaps I need to remove/uninstall and download again?

(I hate when that happens ...) ........

13. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Are you sure it is the XP image resizer powertoy from Microsoft? I just re-ran the installer (fresh from the MS website) and got this:
    [​IMG]
    No modify/remove option

14. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Yes, straight from Microsoft, though it may have been a "dated" link (if that would matter?).

I am getting the same screens as you, only it doesn't matter whether or not I "Replace" the existing file or not, or whether I RE-install or "Modify" (repair), it still won't show-up in my R-click context menu.

Weird, eh?

I suppose I should uninstall/reinstall, eh?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  15. oma

oma MajorGeek

Yes, one needs to download first to the 'puter. Right click on any picture, image or avatar and select: "save image as" That will download it. (I always select the desktop and scan with AVG and Antispyware after) Then right click the image/avatar/picture and you'll see the option to "resize pictures". Select that and then resize to your hearts content. ;)
    I just downloaded Resize Pictures from Microsoft and tried it out by clicking on your avatar and resized it to a bit bigger. Here you are: :)

Attached Files:

16. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Ok oma, great, thank you - however ...

I understand, and am familiar with the "Save Image As" feature, but when I did so (and I simply saved your FF Avatar), it goes straight to my FF Download "Saver Box" (for lack of a better term) - you know, in my browser under; Tools>Downloads.

How would I get it to my desktop from there (?) ... by opening it, and right-clicking from that point?

17. oma

oma MajorGeek

I simply don't understand why you get the saved downloads in the "downloads" folder? :confused You must have selected/directed FF in doing so?

I select where I want to download it and it's always the desktop.

You can probably right click it in the downloads folder, copy and paste it to the desktop? Or you can try to right click the image in the downloads folder and see whether you can resize the picture/image there.

18. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thanks again oma.

"Could" some of my problem here exist because I have "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer"? That is what comes-up when I open the "Downloads" box, and then select; "Open".

I don't know if I have Windows Picture and fax Viewer "by default" with my OS (came with it?), or if it is something I downloaded years ago, but it seems to have always been here ... or at least it's been on this PC for quite a few years now anyway.

Ooooops! Now I see it ("Resize Pictures" in the R-click context menu!). I don't know how to use it ... but I see it! Guess I'll have to play around with it ...

Thanks to all!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds