Two DSL Modems on one line?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zaltom, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Zaltom

Zaltom Private E-2

I have two devices I'd like to hook up to the internet; my Wii and my DirecTV on demand connection. Neither of these two items are capable of hooking up wirelessly to my wireless router, so it would appear that my only option is to have a wire that runs from one end of my house (the location of my router) and the other end (the location of the two aforementioned items). I am contemplating purchasing another DSL modem and hooking it to my phone line, still a line across the family room, but not one end of the house to another.
    What I'd really like to have is a wireless connector that would hook up to my wireless router via wifi, that I could have two wires coming out of, one going to my Wii and the other to my DirecTV. I could have one output and hook up a switcher that would hook to one and then the other, since I'd not be hooking both up at the same time if that would work. I'd be flexible, if only there were a solution. I know TIVO has a wireless internet connector that they sell for TIVO to do that, but don't know if DirecTV does that too or not. If so, would it work with the Wii?
    My problem is that I don't know if there would be a problem with two modems hooked up to a DSL line. It seems that it might interfer with bandwidth if I was having multiple laptops going and trying to also do on demand for a program with two modems going.
    So many questions....
    Any suggestions?

2. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Private First Class

I don't think using two DSL modems on the same line is going to work for you. I haven't played around with this but have you thought about the possibility of using a WAP to bridge your wireless and then plugging that into a small switch at your hardwired devices?

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Two dsl modems on one line wont work, would have to be two separate phone lines entirely.

4. Zaltom

Zaltom Private E-2

Further research helped me find that the Wii automatically has wi-fi built into it. End the quest for doing two connections. Additional research found that there are usb ports on both items and there are Wi-FI doggles that will allow you to connect to the internet via wi-fi. Problem with that is that DirecTV doesn't allow connection via the USB, so they sell their own little wi-fi connector that then plugs into your usual line in connection, just like you were plugging in an internet cable. So I caved and bought their Wi-Fi connector that works with their DVR/Tuner unit. It's not here yet, but I don't anticipate a problem when it arrives.
    Thanks for the attention and responses. Hopes this maybe helps someone else.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds