Two iexplore.exe processes hogging resources

Discussion in 'Software' started by musicteach09, Feb 23, 2009.

1. musicteach09

musicteach09 Private E-2

Hi Software!

I was referred to you by TimW in Malware. Here is my post from Malware:

For a few weeks now, my IE would work for an hour or so at a time and then just stop running. I would have to re-start my computer, and it would not work, it would simply freeze at the "Logging Off" screen. I would have to power it off manually. This happened over and over. I decided to check my Task Manager, and discovered that even after closing IE, a process continued to run, hogging MAJOR amounts of resources, called iexplore.exe, and I could not end the process. After googling the problem, I found many posts which led me to believe I had a trojan of some sort in my system.

I downloaded Ad-Aware, as I've had success with it in the past. Sure enough, it found a trojan--I can't remember what it was called exactly, and I removed it from quarantine during the READ & RUN ME process--something like Win32.Inject.Trojan. I quarantined it using Ad-Aware, and thought my problems were solved. But later that night, I noticed the iexplore.exe hog had returned, to my chagrin.

This is when I googled again and found your READ & RUN ME process. I followed it all step by step to a T, no short cuts, just as instructed, up until Step 4 in the "Vista Cleaning Procedures." Then I waited a day to see if I still had problems. Well, sure enough, the iexplore.exe process has returned, and this time with a vengeance--it's currently hogging over 160,000K!! And I can't end the process.

So TimW came back and said my logs were clean. Which is good news... except that it doesn't solve my iexplore.exe process that is continually running and hogging memory, even when I have no browser open, and which I cannot "End." He suggested I ask all of you wonderful helpers in Software for some help. I will remove Ad-Aware, as per his suggestion, as the programs you have recommended are much better. But I still need help!

So... please... help me! :)

2. BagzoR

BagzoR Private E-2

reformat

3. musicteach09

musicteach09 Private E-2

Maybe I wasn't specific enough in my previous post. I am hoping not to have to reformat. The iexplore.exe process which I cannot end is not running when I restart my computer. It only shows up after I use IE, and remains after I close the browser.

Any other solutions??

4. LennyW

LennyW Private E-2

5. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Ok,this is nasty trojan,so if you doesn't,I would suggest to visit our malware fighters in malware section.

AND,format is not always an option.

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Please check the malware thread......I seemed to have missed an item. :(

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

8. musicteach09

musicteach09 Private E-2

Excellent! Thanks guy, I did what Tim suggested in my previous malware post and am crossing my fingers in anxious anticipation for his reply! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds