Two installations of windows - how do I delete one?

Discussion in 'Software' started by paulodelanio, Feb 6, 2009.

1. paulodelanio

paulodelanio Private E-2

Hi, My girlfriend's mum gave me her old laptop since she got a new one, works fine, but when I turn it on I'm asked which operating system to boot from in the BIOS (black screen bit). There are two windows xp home editions to choose from.

Apparently a friend tried to install another copy of windows because the windows clock is constantly wrong, personally I think this might be a battery problem, either way the other operating system has the same clock problem.

I don't care about the clock, but I would like to delete the other operating system.

If I load control pannel/administrative tools/computer management/storage/disk management, it shows that my hard drive has been divided into 3 partitions.

PQSERVICE - 7.81GB NTFS
    Healthy (unknown partition)

(C:) - 70.77 GB NTFS
    Healthy (System)

DATA (D:) - 70.47GB NTFS
    Healthy

There is a dark blue line above each partition which I think marks them as primary partitions, I don't know what this means
    The only other drive is the CD drive.

I don't know what PQSERVICE is, for the time being I would simply like to delete the second partition so that the full space is give to one partition.
    I know I can just delete the partition from within the Computer Management tool, but is there any way this could ruin or damage the copy of windows on the other partition? I've heard it can cause problems.
    Also, if i delete the second partition will the 70gigs of space merge with the other one, or will it be unusable? I don't have the windows installation cd's, and won't be able to get them off her for a couple of months, should I wait and just do a clean format and fresh windows install in a couple of months?

thanks a lot for your time

2. Marky_Mark896

Marky_Mark896 Private E-2

I figure PQSERVICE is a recovery partition which has all the info for restoring your computer in case of a crash. Looks like the other 2 partitions, one is your operating system and program files, and the other is your storage for your documents and stuff.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Ya, PQSERVICE is your supposed hidden restore partition, I guess the friend unhid it but you don't want to ever fool around in there! I'm not too familiar with laptops, so wait for someone else.

Are there windows folders in both C and D? If so, then you can safely delete the D partition and extend the C drive though I would personally do a factory restore which would solve all your issues, it would fix your boot screen, rehide the restore partition, delete the D partition and give back the space to C:. Best to start fresh and easier too since you don't know what the friend did to it either.:) You will of course have to update all that WU offers.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  4. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Type the following in Run c:\boot.ini txt file.This will show both of the XP installations
    Exampleboot loader]This one show s three installatins
    timeout=0
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    1)multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

2)multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

delete 1&2 lines. save it and close and restart.(be care when u r trying delete

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Ya jujet84 but if someone is not too savvy, he might make a doorstop out of his system if not extremely careful. I would rather see that the OP delete the D drive first, run msconfig, click on boot tab and then check the 'check all boot paths' option and apply. We know how to edit the boot.ini, I learned the hard way with having to do a fixboot /mbr as I had a retail CD.;)

6. paulodelanio

paulodelanio Private E-2

ok, I typed what jujet suggested into Run, but didn't change anything because I don't feel confident about that yet.

Here's what it said in the boot.ini txt file:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Also, the D drive is not just for documents, there are program files, documents AND windows files in both drive partitions.
    Problem is I can't do a clean format and windows install since I left my friends windows disk, won't be able to get it for a couple of months.
    Do you think I should just delte drive D from the computer management tool? How do I extend the C drive.
    Or would it be safer to wait until I get the windows cd and do a clean format and install then?

thanks again, appreciate it

7. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

I haven't forgot about your problem---one question what brand of laptop is it

8. paulodelanio

paulodelanio Private E-2

its an acer aspire 5630

9. paulodelanio

paulodelanio Private E-2

So, just to clarify, my question is now...

Is it safe to just delete D drive partition with the computer management tool?

Will this damage the windows files on C drive (there are windows files on both)

Will the space on D drive be automatically given to C drive, or do I have to do something to make this happen

thanks again

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds