Two new anti-spyware apps....

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Nov 23, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Being the inquisitive type, and always on the lookout for new antispyware programs, I thought I'd see what some of you folks think of the following two apps I recently was made aware of:
    Spyware Cease and Malware Defender.
    I know what everyone is thinking.... "those are pretty generic and lame names and they are probably rogue-ware". But keep in mind that 'Super Antispyware' is a pretty lame and generic name, but it also happens to be one of the best AS apps available. Both of the new apps I listed are available from some of the other big download sites and therefore are unlikely to be rogue (possible, but not likely). So, if anyone has heard of these, or used 'em, please post your thoughts. I'll be trying them out myself in the days to come and will be posting my experiences here for those who are interested....
    Thanks.

[dlb]

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Most large download sites other then majorgeeks that claim to test there downloads, really dont.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

While this is probably true, it really doesn't have anything to do with my original question. But, if you Google either app, the first 25+ results for each are just download sites and reviews. If either app was rogue, something would come up early in a search. I'm 99% sure they are legit programs.... I was just wondering if anyone has used either one, and how effective they may (or may not) be. Again, I'll be using them both in the next few days just to see how they run, and I'll be submitting my findings if anyone gives a :crap

;)

4. tym

tym Corporal

Yea I am forsure anxious to see what kind of results you get, what you think.

While talking to someone else about this kinda stuff, they were kinda surprised to realize virus and spyware programs are nothing more that a search engine looking at your files for certian entries.

Thats the simple explination. They thought the spyware or virus set off an alarm, kinda like a smoke detector does to warn of fire. Never really thought about it, but I can kinda see how they thought that. Sorry I am rambling. Ignore me rolleyes

5. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

They may very well be legitimate programs but here is my philosphy. I do some computer teaching on a volunteer basis at our senior center. To keep things simple, and users safe, I always tell my students to not download any antivirus, antispyware, or any other utility program except from the MG website. I also actually go through a download and installation of Ccleaner, a great little program and, as long as they don't mess with the default settings, pretty safe even for beginners.

Unless they are looking for specialized programs, I tell them that MG offers hundreds of useful freeware programs, tested and safe, and while I know there are other legitimate download sites, if it isn't on MG, you don't really need it and why take the chance?

So far, I've never seen anybody burned from a MG download.

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

You would be surprised at the amount of malware threads starting i downloaded "insert program name" from "insert other large download site" and now im infected. I was just making a statement as to how majorgeeks tests all there downloads and the average user should stick to safe sites like majorgeeks. That was all :)

7. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

All I see is that both are not freeware and one even states that it may find malware, but will not remove it unless you purchase it....so, being the miser that I am, no thanks. :)

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Malware Defender costs $39.95, which seems high for a new product.
    I'm also very cheap. Currently I'm running VIPRE (does what malware defender does and is also an av product); it costs $29.95.
    Note: I got a one year free license because I've beta-tested several of Sunbelt software products. I have also purchased some products because I was pleased with the results after testing for more than 1 week or 1 month.
    My attitude is wait and see how a product performs before I decide if I want to buy it.

I wasn't able to find a price on Spyware Cease.

9. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah, neither app is free, but in some cases (like MalwareBytes for example) paying for the full version is totally acceptable. However, that is NOT the case with either of these 2 apps, especially Spyware Cease.
    My test PC was a Dell laptop loaded with 7 or 8 mutant variants of the XP Antivirus 2008/2009 family, pluss it had several rogue reg cleaners and drive cleaners. Spyware Cease did not pick up hardly any of the XPAV08/09 stuff. All it found was Wild Tangent (about 100 files), a Bingo game that can play online (about 20 files), and a copuon/shopper type of adware (6 files). That's it. Totally unacceptable. And they charge for it??? Lame. Spyware Cease is a huge stinking lump of :crap On the other hand, Malware Defender is really cool. It's not a scanner/remover in the traditional sense. It's kind of like HiJackThis thrown in a blender with some Sysinternals apps and maybe a NirSoft app or two. It has a process monitor, process killer, startup and autorun configurator, all with registry cross-referencing, and with a right-click, you can search any item via Google. Pretty cool. Too bad it's so costly, esp. since you can do all the same stuff for free with Sysinternals' suite of apps. But the nice thing with Malware Defender is that everything is in one app, everything is tabbed and easy to flip through, and the ability to immediately jump to the registry entries for a given item is a big plus.
    So, there it is. My thoughts on the two apps.... Spyware Cease is complete garbage, BIG TIME CRAPOLA. Malware Defender is the exact opposite; I found it to be a very helpful and quality app, and the trial appeared to have full functionality. However, since there's individual free apps that do the same thing, paying $39.95 seems a bit extreme.

[dlb]

10. plodr

ooops, forgot to mention I also bought Malwarebytes for another PC, my hubby's. I want him to be safe for the little surfing he does so the price was worth it to me in terms of time saved not having to fix/clean his PC. :-D

Thanks for testing dlb and reporting back the results.

11. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You're very welcome. Hopefully this will save somebody some time and trouble in the future.
    Absolutely!!! MBAM is totally worth paying for! The free version has EXCELLENT detection/removal abilities, and when you throw the real-time protection on top, it ends up being a top-notch application.

[dlb]

12. plodr

I live in the US. I have absolutely no control over my information stored in numerous databases in this country. Let me give two examples:
    1. My husband is a registered gun owner and as such, his information is stored on the computer system of the County Courthouse. There was an error (deliberate or not) and all information, including vitals like name, address, social security number was exposed on the website for anyone to see.
    2. We have had several different prescription plans through our employers. In the past, we have had to use Express Scripts. Currently the FBI is investigating because in early October, the company received an extortion/threat letter with names, dates of birth, Social Security numbers and prescription information of 75 people who have or had used the service. The extortion letter threatened to expose the information on millions of patient records.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds