Two operating systems, Xp / Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by lesm, Nov 7, 2007.

1. lesm

lesm Private E-2

Bought an new laptop with Vista, can I install XP on it also, I have some programs that will not run on Vista.

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

If you want to dual boot without headache, the rule is oldest first.

That is
    wipe Vista , install XP and then reinstall Vista from your Microsoft DVD (you do have one?)

Lotsa folks had lotsa trouble and strife trying it the other way round

Alternatively if your laptop has plug in hard drives buy another one and put XP on that.

3. lesm

lesm Private E-2

Thanks for the info, I was trying to get away from wiping Vista just because so I do not have to load all of the programs again, and that would be the only reason I would keep vista. If I did wipe Vista you can be guaranteed I would not reinstall it.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Remember removing Vista altogether may invalidate your warranty!!!!!!!

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Can't you try to install the program and select run in compatibility mode? Sorry if this is wrong, I don't have experience with Vista. It's just a thought to avoid wiping a working OS from a computer.
    I always think there are far fewer problems if you stick to the OS that was installed when you purchased the computer. (Of course, I don't always stick to this rule myself. :D But I have several computers so if I break one, I grab the image file I made and get it back to the way it was before I started tweaking then move on to another computer to see what I can break. ) LOL

Found something
    Enabling Compatibility Mode
    1. Right-click on the installation executable.
    2. Click Properties
    3. In the following dialog box, select the Compatibility tab.
    4. In the Compatibility tab, select the check box for Run this program in compatibility mode for: and choose the version of Windows you would like Vista to simulate: Server 2003, XP SP2, 2000, NT 4.0 SP5, 98/Me, or 95.
    * Note: The older the operating system simulation needed, the less likely the program will actually run properly. This feature will not work for getting older drivers to function.
    5. Some programs may need to be run with elevated privileges to function properly. If this is the case, select Run this program as an administrator under Privilege Level.
    6. Click OK to apply the changes.

6. lesm

lesm Private E-2

The item that will not work is a Sierra Wireless air card, sierra has no plans for any support for Vista as this is an older product, thanks for the info.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds